Finding Center of Mass of a Nonuniform Bar

In summary: So the expression is simplified as x = (sin ø2 L) / (cos ø2(tan ø1 + sin ø2)).In summary, The position of the center of mass of a nonuniform, horizontal bar of mass m supported by two massless wires against gravity, with the left wire at an angle ϕ1 and the right wire at an angle ϕ2 and length L, can be found by solving for x using the equation x = (sin ø2 L) / (cos ø2(tan ø1 + sin ø2)).
chongkuan123

Homework Statement

A nonuniform, horizontal bar of mass m is supported by two massless wires against gravity. The left wire makes an angle ϕ1 with the horizontal, and the right wire makes an angle ϕ2. The bar has length L.

Find the position of the center of mass of the bar, x, measured from the bar's left end.

MTS_st_24.jpg

Homework Equations

net torque = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

this is how i did it, the answer was wrong :(
http://i.imgur.com/LwxnukY.jpg
and all answers i found online was L/((tanø2/tanø1)+1) which is incorrect.
help please, thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you forgot to ask a question.

dauto said:
Seems like you forgot to ask a question.

my bad, I edited the question. would you please tell me how to do it? :P thank you!

check your first line of equations, look at the units and tell me if that's a legitimate statement. I'm talking about the sum x torque equation. I haven't looked too far into the question yet, but I think that may be a good chunk of your problem
hint: (where's the center of mass in your equation? how can you solve for something that isn't there?)
you need some x's and some L-x's and junks and stuffs and things...

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
check your first line of equations, look at the units and tell me if that's a legitimate statement. I'm talking about the sum x torque equation. I haven't looked too far into the question yet, but I think that may be a good chunk of your problem
hint: (where's the center of mass in your equation? how can you solve for something that isn't there?)
you need some x's and some L-x's and junks and stuffs and things...

I guess i should write sum force x, but isn't the equation itself correct?

for the second equation, i setted the torque around center of mass to be 0; then calculated for x which is the distance from the left end to the center of mass.

thank you for replying

I'm not sure if i would say that it's "incorrect", just not useful. It looks like to me you need to use [itex]r X F = T[/itex]
real quick, are you supposed to find a 1d coordinate for the CoM, or (x,y) coordinate? the second ones more complex.
if it's 1d, I'd start with [itex] xT_{1} sin(\Phi_{1}) + (L-x)T_{2}sin(\Phi_{2}) = 0 ∴ xT_{2} sin(\Phi_{1}) = -(L-x)T_{2}sin(\Phi_{2})[/itex]
then solve for x:
[itex]x T_{1}sin(\Phi_{1}) = xT_{2} sin(\Phi_{2}) - LT_{2} sin(\Phi_{2}) ∴[/itex]
[itex]x [T_{1} sin(\Phi_{1})- T_{2}sin(\Phi_{2})] = -LT_{2} sin(\Phi_{2}) ∴[/itex]
[itex]x = \frac{-LT_{2} sin(\Phi_{2})}{T_{1}sin(\Phi_{1})-T_{2}sin(\Phi_{2})}[/itex]

Try that out

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
if it's 1d, I'd start with [itex] xT_{1} sin(\Phi_{1}) + (L-x)T_{2}sin(\Phi_{2}) = 0 ∴ xT_{2} sin(\Phi_{1}) = -(L-x)T_{2}sin(\Phi_{2})[/itex]
then solve for x:
[itex]x T_{1}sin(\Phi_{1}) = xT_{2} sin(\Phi_{2}) - LT_{2} sin(\Phi_{2}) ∴[/itex]
[itex]x [T_{1} sin(\Phi_{1})- T_{2}sin(\Phi_{2})] = -LT_{2} sin(\Phi_{2}) ∴[/itex]
[itex]x = \frac{-LT_{2} sin(\Phi_{2})}{T_{1}sin(\Phi_{1})-T_{2}sin(\Phi_{2})}[/itex]

I guess i should clarify, T's are tensions, so your [itex]F_{1}[/itex] and [itex]F_{2}[/itex]

then you can solve for T1 and T2, I'll let you do that, mostly because I'm feeling lazy lol, I'm not sure what all you have to do.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
then you can solve for T1 and T2, I'll let you do that, mostly because I'm feeling lazy lol, I'm not sure what all you have to do.

thank you so much
after reading your reply i found out that i made a foolish calculation mistake. The correct answer should be x = (sinø_2 L) / (tan ø_1 cos ø_2 + sinø_2), i was right, but i simplified it incorrectly, now i can't figure out how to simplify this is expression in terms of tangents :(

If I'm reading your solution correctly, I'm not sure that it does, unless you reeeaaalllyyy want those tangents, you could probably do some multiply by 1. Tan^2 + 1= sec^2
Sin * sec = tan ... plus I'm not sure where you got that tan in the first place

chongkuan123 said:
thank you so much
after reading your reply i found out that i made a foolish calculation mistake. The correct answer should be x = (sinø_2 L) / (tan ø_1 cos ø_2 + sinø_2), i was right, but i simplified it incorrectly, now i can't figure out how to simplify this is expression in terms of tangents :(
You mean you want all the trig functions to be tans? Just divide top and bottom by cos ø2.

1. How do you define the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed, meaning that the object is perfectly balanced around this point.

2. What is the importance of finding the center of mass of a nonuniform bar?

Finding the center of mass of a nonuniform bar is important because it allows us to understand the overall balance and stability of the object. This information is crucial in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.

3. How do you calculate the center of mass of a nonuniform bar?

To calculate the center of mass of a nonuniform bar, you need to divide the mass of the object into small, equally sized segments. Then, you can use the formula: x̅ = Σ(mx) / Σm, where x̅ represents the center of mass, m represents the mass of each segment, and x represents the distance of each segment from a reference point.

4. What factors can affect the center of mass of a nonuniform bar?

The center of mass of a nonuniform bar can be affected by the distribution of mass along the object, as well as the shape and orientation of the object. Any external forces acting on the object can also cause the center of mass to shift.

5. How can finding the center of mass of a nonuniform bar be applied in real-life situations?

Knowing the center of mass of a nonuniform bar can be useful in designing structures, creating stable objects, and predicting the movement of objects under different conditions. It is also important in sports and activities that require balance, such as gymnastics and dance.