Where should the third child whose weight is 180N sit in order to balance the seesaw?

• Thread starter Equilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses how to balance a seesaw with three children of different weights. The two children already on the seesaw weigh 150N and 250N, and the third child weighs 180N. To balance the seesaw, the third child should sit with the child weighing 150N, not because of their weight but because of the smaller torque. The conversation also mentions using the formula TORQUE = LENGTH * FORCE and assigning clockwise and counterclockwise rotations to the numbers.
Equilibrium
A 150N child and a 250N child sit at opposite ends of a 4.0m seesaw pivoted at its center. Where should the third child whose weight is 180N sit in order to balance the seesaw?

Do you need to solve this problem or answer it where the 3rd child will be put

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you've tried.
What equation(s) do you think you're supposed to use?

TORQUE = LENGTH * FWboy
is it okay to assign clockwise and cclockwise to every number?
clockwise
TORQUE = 2.0m * 150N
TORQUEboy1 = 300 N * m
counterclockwise
TORQUEboy2 = 2.0m * 250N
TORQUEboy2 = 500N
waaaa I am so dumb
what now

Total torque must equal 0 to keep the seesaw from rotating.
You are using the correct formula, can you figure out what the "lenght"(/distance) should be for the 3rd boy for the torque to equal 0?

oh

Torqueboy1 + Torqueboy2 + Torqueboy3 = 0
300N.m + 500 N * m + 180 N * M<-(unknown) = 0

i know how but I've got a problem with Clockwise and C.Clockwise where can i assign them...

plss helpp...
thx

Last edited:
You should draw a diagram, and think where the seesaw will rotate if only one boy is placed on eg. the left.
You can choose the sign (+/-) however you like, but all torque causing clockwise rotation must have the same sign and it must be opposite to the ones causing counter-clockwise rotation.

I'm extremely confused about your markings, what are N.m, N * M, <-(unknown) ?

oh its the Length of the third boy * Its Normal Force..
weighing 180N to balance the seesaw..

so i was just wondering if the third boy can be assigned at the CC or C rotation...?.. icant assign it as positive or negative
helpp..

thx again

Which way would the seesaw rotate if the 3rd boy wasnt placed there? To balance this rotation out, where should the 3rd boy be placed?

hmm......
3rd boy should be with the boy weighing 150N because it's lighter

Last edited:
Yes, correct, sort of. It's not because of the lighter weight, but because of the smaller torque.

Last edited:
yup i get it now thanks :)

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system, and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. What factors affect torque?

The two main factors that affect torque are the magnitude of the applied force and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The angle of application of the force can also affect torque.

5. How is torque used in real-life applications?

Torque is used in many different real-life applications, such as engines, motors, and tools. It is also important in sports, like football and tennis, where athletes use torque to generate power and force. In engineering and construction, torque is crucial for tightening bolts and screws to the correct degree.