1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque question (qualitative)

1. Jun 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement
    what role does torque play in body stability and ergonomics ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2016 #2
    I'm not sure what level of explanation you want... Most simply, torque is a turning moment. The idea of torque is that if you apply a force at a greater distance, you get a bigger rotation - it would be easier to swing a cat by its tail than its middle (if you wished to swing cats), and it requires less effort to open a door from the edge, rather than at the pivot.

If you want a mathematical definition:

$$ \tau_{Total} = \sum_{i} \tau_{i} = \sum_{i} \vec{r_{i}} \times \vec{F_{i}} $$

Where ##\tau_{Total}## is the total torque on the body, and is the sum of a number of torques, ##\tau_{i} = \vec{r_{i}} \times \vec{F_{i}}## where, ##\vec{r_{i}}## is the position vector, and ##\vec{F_{i}}## is the force.

The angular momentum of a body is related to the torque applied:

$$ \vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} $$

$$ \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt} = \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} \times \vec{p} + \vec{r} \times \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} $$

So

$$ \frac{d\vec{L}}{dt} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} $$

i.e -if we don't have any torque, then the angular momentum must be constant in time. The body cannot be spinning up or spinning down - in cannot be changing its motion in any rotational sense. So in this way, we see that a necessary (but not sufficient! - e.g we also have to balance forces) condition for equilibrium is that the total torques on a body must be zero...

Does that help at all?

4. Jun 3, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Penny... have a think about the joints in the human body. I think all (?) Involve rotation.

5. Jun 3, 2016 #4
    The question is more geared towards when trying to improve stability or how do stability and torque correlate. I was thinking it had to do with Centre of mass or base of support. I have no idea what could be said for ergonomics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted