Torque,rotational motion of an object

• Thread starter davon806
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, torque is equal to the product of applied force and distance from the pivot point. When the force increases, the distance decreases in order to maintain the same torque. This can be explained at the atomic level by understanding how forces are transmitted between atoms. However, this analogy cannot fully explain why the distance decreases as the force increases. It is important to study worked out examples and understand the concept before attempting to
davon806

Homework Statement

We all know that
T = Fd
Where F = applied force,T=torque about the pivot.
Mathematically,to produce the same size of torque,if F increases,d decreases.
If F decreases,d increases.
But,let's think about what's happening at the atomic level.
Please see the attached.
Suppose A is the pivot.
In picture 1 and 2,you are applying a force at different position.
By the formula,to produce the same size of clockwise torque about A,
F2>F1
In fact the force is applied on the whole object,
i.e.When you apply a force on E in figure 2,the force is actually acting on the atoms(or group of atoms) at E.By repulsive forces between atoms,force is "transmitted" to B,
so the object rotates.
In figure 1,you apply force at B,when the atoms at B move,they pull the other atoms forwards,so the whole object rotates about A.
(These are what I thought about what's happening in atoms when an object rotate.)
However,this analogy cannot explain why as d decreases F increases.
1.Can someone give me an explanation of the equation in terms of movement of atoms and molecules?
i.e. Why d decreases then F increases (for the same torque)

2.And why the atoms at pivot point don't perform rotational and translational motion?
Thx a lot.

I have been solving this for one week though I can't figure it out...
Please forgive for my foolishness.

Homework Equations

the equation of torque,which is T=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

listed in the above and the attached

Attachments

• IMG_5071.JPG
    IMG_5071.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_5072.JPG
    IMG_5072.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_5073.JPG
    IMG_5073.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning force applied to an object. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system.

3. What is the difference between torque and force?

Torque and force are both vector quantities that involve the application of a force to an object. However, force is a linear measurement while torque is a rotational measurement. Force causes linear motion, while torque causes rotational motion.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the torque?

The direction of the force applied to an object affects the direction of the torque. Torque is a vector quantity, so it has both magnitude and direction. When the force is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation, the torque is at its maximum. When the force is applied parallel to the axis of rotation, the torque is zero.

5. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion. When a torque is applied to an object, it causes the object to rotate about an axis. The greater the torque, the greater the rotational acceleration of the object. Likewise, the greater the moment of inertia (resistance to rotational motion) of the object, the smaller the rotational acceleration will be for a given torque.