Torque: stick resting on a bowling ball

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with a stick and a ball on a rough horizontal floor. The question asks for the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted on the stick by the floor. The normal force on the stick has a vertical component and a horizontal component. The horizontal component is the force from the floor, and the vertical component is the normal force. The ball may affect the force on the stick, but its mass is not given, making it difficult to solve the problem accurately.
henry3369

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/d0kW2Kr

Homework Equations

Net torque = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The work is done in the image. I only included the forces that were relevant to the answer.
The answer is N = 0.983 Newtons.

I have a feeling that my incorrect answer is due to the incorrect distance from the rotation of axis (the left end of the side) and the force N, but I can't see where I went wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand the question. If there's no friction between stick and ball then the stick exerts a torque about the point of contact of ball with ground. That would seem to ensure the ball will roll, yet it says the stick 'rests'.
Your diagram is strange. The horizontal line for the floor should be tangent to the ball at its lowest point.

haruspex said:
Not sure I understand the question. If there's no friction between stick and ball then the stick exerts a torque about the point of contact of ball with ground. That would seem to ensure the ball will roll, yet it says the stick 'rests'.
Your diagram is strange. The horizontal line for the floor should be tangent to the ball at its lowest point.
It is tangent, I drew it quickly, sorry.

haruspex said:
Wouldn't the friction between the ball and the ground prevent it from rolling? Either way, can't the ball be ignored since I'm looking at the forces on the stick? I assume the ball was only used to find the lever arm for the force of the stick on the ball (N in the picture).

Yes I think it's irrelevant if the ball moves. If it does then you can assume that the force you are being asked to calculate is the initial force just before the ball starts moving.

henry3369 said:
It is tangent, I drew it quickly, sorry.

Redraw it again. This error means your calculation includes "0.0892 * 2" which I think is incorrect. I believe it should be "0.0892 + 0.103"

CWatters said:
Yes I think it's irrelevant if the ball moves. If it does then you can assume that the force you are being asked to calculate is the initial force just before the ball starts moving.
No. If it accelerates the force will be less because of the stick's inertia.

CWatters said:
Redraw it again. This error means your calculation includes "0.0892 * 2" which I think is incorrect. I believe it should be "0.0892 + 0.103"
Yeah that is correct. I'm confused why it is 0.0892 + 0.103 though. Isn't 0.0892 the top half so the entire side of the triangle would be 0.0892 *2. I'm starting at my picture and I can't see where I've gone wrong.

CWatters said:
Never mind, I see where the 0.103 comes from. Thanks!

I'm trying to do a problem that follows the one given in the problem which says:

Find the horizontal and vertical component of the force exerted on the stick by the floor.

I was able to solve for the vertical component to be 1.25, but I don't know how the normal force can have a horizontal component in this situation. The normal force points straight up (which is the vertical component), and then there is no component of the normal force pointing along the ground. I originally thought it it wanted the force along the stick, but in order for the vertical component to be correct, the x-axis has to be parallel to the ground, while the y-axis perpendicular.

N is the normal force. I see N pointing up ##\perp## the stick. It definitely has a component ##\perp \vec g## and the only one that can prevent the stick from moving to the left is the floor!

henry3369 said:
Wouldn't the friction between the ball and the ground prevent it from rolling?
No. It can prevent sliding, but not rolling.
henry3369 said:
Either way, can't the ball be ignored since I'm looking at the forces on the stick?
No. If the ball accelerates then so does the stick (rotationally), and the stick's acceleration implies a net torque on it.
However, since no mass is given for the bowling ball there is no way to solve the question correctly. Either the ball is effectively screwed down or the question is screwed up.
For what it's worth, taking the ball's mass to be 1kg instead of infinite reduces the normal force on the stick by about 3%.

henry3369 said:
there is no component of the normal force pointing along the ground
Quite so. But it doesn't ask for the horizontal component of the normal force. It asks for the horizontal component of the total force:
henry3369 said:
Find the horizontal and vertical component of the force exerted on the stick by the floor.
The floor is rough and horizontal. The normal force is therefore vertical. What do we call the horizontal force from such a floor?

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is torque related to a stick resting on a bowling ball?

When a stick is resting on a bowling ball, there is a force acting on the stick due to gravity. This force creates a torque on the ball, causing it to rotate around its axis.

What factors affect the torque on the bowling ball?

The torque on a bowling ball depends on the force applied by the stick, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. Increasing any of these factors will increase the torque on the ball.

What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Torque is directly proportional to angular acceleration. This means that the more torque applied to an object, the more it will rotate or accelerate.

How is torque used in real-life applications?

Torque is used in many real-life applications, such as car engines, bicycles, and construction equipment. It is also used in sports, such as bowling and baseball, to create rotational motion and increase the speed of an object.