Torsional Vibration Theory Question - k value help

In summary, the conversation discusses a coursework involving determining natural frequencies of torsional vibration using matrix methods and hand calculations. Relevant formulae for this section of the module are provided, and the individual is seeking help with entering equations and understanding vibration theory. The possibility of using the inertia of the entire system instead of just the shaft is also mentioned.
DFC101

Homework Statement

I've been given this as a piece of coursework and I'm having a bit of trouble starting it. I know most of what I need to do once I can figure out how to calculate a few basic (though essential) values.

The first part to the question is as follows:

"Determine, using matrix methods involving the Dynamic Characteristic Matrix Equation {DM}, and hand calculations, the natural frequencies of torsional vibration ignoring the effect of IC (coupling) mass inertia effects for the model indicated in figure 2 but including all stiffness elements."

th_vibrationtheory-1.jpg

Homework Equations

None supplied in this coursework however here are the relavent formulae for this section of the module I am studying:

th_formulae.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure how to enter equations on this forums so I've just provided a print screen of my working so far...

working.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I Imagine the answer is fairly obvious however vibration theory has always been one of my weak points!

Cheers, DFC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think J would be the inertia of the entire system, not just the shaft alone. They gave you radii of gyration as well as the inertia of the gearbox and couplings.

However using that equation will give you the equivalent torsional stiffness. I am just not sure if torsional springs in series act similarly to linear springs in series though.

1. What is torsional vibration theory?

Torsional vibration theory is a scientific concept that explains the behavior of rotating objects, such as shafts and gears, under torsional stress. It involves the study of the relationship between the applied torque and the resulting deflection and stress on the object.

2. How is torsional vibration theory related to k value?

K value is a key parameter in torsional vibration theory that represents the stiffness of a rotating object. It is used to calculate the natural frequency of the object and determine its response to torsional stress.

3. What factors affect the k value in torsional vibration theory?

The k value in torsional vibration theory is affected by the material properties of the object, such as its Young's modulus and shear modulus, as well as its geometry and boundary conditions. Additionally, the speed and direction of rotation can also impact the k value.

4. How is torsional vibration theory applied in engineering?

Torsional vibration theory is used in engineering to design and analyze rotating systems, such as engines, turbines, and pumps. It helps engineers understand the potential for torsional stress and determine the appropriate measures to reduce or control it.

5. What are some common applications of torsional vibration theory?

Torsional vibration theory has many applications, including in the automotive industry for engine and drivetrain design, in the aerospace industry for helicopter and airplane rotor systems, and in the power generation industry for turbine design. It is also used in the design of industrial machinery and equipment.