Total angular momentum operator for a superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the application and calculation of the total angular momentum using the Born rule and wavefunction collapse. The expected value and probability of measurement are also explained using the example of an arbitrary superposition of eigenstates. The importance of considering the operator for total angular momentum, rather than the vector, is also highlighted.
DivGradCurl
Hi all,

Quick quantum question. I understand the total angular momentum operation [tex]\hat{L}^2 \psi _{nlm} = \hbar\ell(\ell + 1) \psi _{nlm}[/tex] which means the total angular momentum is [tex]L = \sqrt{\hbar\ell(\ell + 1)}[/tex] But how about applying this to an arbitrary superposition of eigenstates such as this [tex]\psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \psi _{310} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \psi _{420}[/tex] and trying to find the expected value of the total angular momentum? Here is my best guess: [tex]\hat{L}^2 \psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \, 1(1+ 1) \psi _{310} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \, 2(2 + 1) \psi _{420} = \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \psi _{310} + \frac{6}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \psi _{420} [/tex] so the expected value is [tex]\langle L ^2 \rangle = \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \right)^2 + \left( \frac{6}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \right)^2[/tex] which means the expected value of the total angular momentum is maybe [tex]\langle L \rangle = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \right)^2 + \left( \frac{6}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \right)^2}[/tex] Is this correct? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Just apply the Born rule. Your wave function is of the form ##\psi=\alpha\psi_1+\beta\psi_2## where ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2## are eigenvectors of ##L^2## with eigenvalues ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2##, so the probability of getting the result ##\lambda_1## is ##\alpha^2## and the probability of getting the result ##\lambda_2## is ##\beta^2##. That makes the expectation value ##\alpha^2\lambda_1+\beta^2\lambda_2##.

Plug in your known values and you're done.

Yeah, I see your point. There is a simpler way to approach it. Looks like we're arriving at the same answer either way, which is good. Thanks

Let me bring an additional question, related to the original post with an added twist. If I were to change the wavefunction to, for example [tex]\psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \psi_{100} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \psi_{310} [/tex] and wanted (1) the expectation value of the total angular momentum and (2) the probability of a single measurement yielding the value found in (1), is this correct...

(1) Finding the expectation value of the total angular momentum
[tex]\langle L \rangle = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) ^2 \, 0 (0 +1) \hbar + \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) ^2 \, 1 (1 +1) \hbar } = \sqrt{ \frac{1}{2} \, 2 \hbar} = \sqrt{\hbar}[/tex]

(2) The probability of a single measurement yielding the value found in (1)

100% since the wavefunction collapses upon the measurement. Is that right? Thanks again! :)

I've just caught my own mistake. Every [tex]\hbar[/tex] in the above posts should be squared. Other than that, I'm assuming it's correct.

(1): You have to be a bit careful with the operators. [itex]\langle |\mathbf{L}| \rangle = \left\langle \sqrt{ \mathbf{L}^2 }\right\rangle[/itex] is not the same as [itex]\sqrt{\langle \mathbf{L}^2 \rangle}[/itex] in general.

(2): How do you calculate the probabilities? Do you get different probabilities for the state of your initial post and if yes, why?

Likes blue_leaf77
DivGradCurl said:
which means the expected value of the total angular momentum is maybe [tex]\langle L \rangle = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \right)^2 + \left( \frac{6}{\sqrt{2}} \hbar \right)^2}[/tex] Is this correct? Thank you
In which context did you want or were asked to calculate the expectation value of the total angular momentum? Usually, the term "total angular momentum" is sufficiently referred to the square modulus of the angular momentum ##|\mathbf{L}|^2##. Otherwise, angular momentum is a vector, it may be more relevant to calculate the expecation value of the vector angular momentum.

DivGradCurl said:
(2) The probability of a single measurement yielding the value found in (1)

100% since the wavefunction collapses upon the measurement. Is that right?

As long as you meant "subsequent" instead of "single", yes. First measurement applied to the superposed state collapses the wave function to the eigenfunction whose eigenvalue is what you measured; subsequent measurements give you that value with probability 100%.

(BTW, this only works because ##L^2## commutes with the Hamiltonian. Otherwise the post-measurement state, whose evolution is governed by the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, would evolve into something that is not a eigenfunction of ##L^2##).

Edit: Oh... and also what BlueLeaf just said. You want to be talking about ##L^2## not ##\vec{L}##

Hi,

On (1), thanks for bringing that point up. I guess I should express my solution as
[tex]\langle |\mathbf{L}| \rangle = \left\langle \sqrt{ \mathbf{L}^2 }\right\rangle[/tex]
which is what it seems to be.
On (2), the probabilities are just the modulus squared of the coefficients, which I arbitrarily assumed as [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] Then, in the original post, the probability would be 1/2 for each eigenstate.

DivGradCurl said:
On (2), the probabilities are just the modulus squared of the coefficients, which I arbitrarily assumed as [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] Then, in the original post, the probability would be 1/2 for each eigenstate.
Then why did you write about a probability of 1 in post #4? Did you intend to talk about subsequent measurements (like Nugatory suggested in post #8)?

Exactly, subsequent measurements and wavefunuction collapse, giving probability of 1. Thanks

1. What is the total angular momentum operator for a superposition?

The total angular momentum operator for a superposition is a mathematical representation of the total angular momentum of a system with multiple particles. It takes into account both the individual angular momenta of each particle as well as their interactions with each other.

2. How is the total angular momentum operator for a superposition calculated?

The total angular momentum operator for a superposition is calculated by summing the individual angular momentum operators for each particle and adding in any interaction terms that account for the influence of the particles on each other.

3. What is the significance of the total angular momentum operator for a superposition?

The total angular momentum operator for a superposition is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system with multiple particles and their interactions in terms of their total angular momentum. This is important in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and atomic physics.

4. Can the total angular momentum operator for a superposition change over time?

Yes, the total angular momentum operator for a superposition can change over time if the particles in the system are subject to external forces or if they interact with each other in a way that changes their individual angular momenta. In quantum mechanics, this change is described by the time-dependent Schrödinger equation.

5. How is the total angular momentum operator for a superposition related to the uncertainty principle?

The total angular momentum operator for a superposition is related to the uncertainty principle in that the more precisely we know the value of the total angular momentum, the less precisely we can know the values of the individual angular momenta of the particles. This is because the total angular momentum operator does not commute with the individual angular momentum operators, leading to a trade-off between precision of measurement for these quantities.