Optimizing Total Cost: Finding MTBF for Maximum Savings in 5 Years

In summary, the conversation discusses the total cost of operating a system for 5 years, which is comprised of the acquisition cost, spares cost, and downtime cost. The acquisition cost is dependent on the system's mean time between failures (MTBF), and the average cost of spares and downtime are given. The objective is to find the optimal MTBF that minimizes the total cost. The attempt at a solution involves finding the rate of failure (R) and using it to calculate the total cost, then taking the derivative with respect to R and setting it equal to zero to find the optimal value for R. Further clarification is needed for the 5 year factor in the equation.
ptlnguyen

Homework Statement

A system is to be operated 5000 hours per year, where
Total Cost (for 5 years) = Acquisition cost + Spares cost + Downtime cost
System acquisition cost is related to MTBF, θ, as follows:

CA(θ) = 685.2917e0.003779θ
The average cost of a spare item is $1,000 and the average cost of downtime associated with failure is $5,000.

Homework Equations

Find MTBF or θ required for a system that will result in approximate minimum total cost over a five-year period if the

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt but not sure
Find θ = MTBF
1/MTBF = R/T where R= rate of failure and T= total time = 5000hrs
=> MTBF =T/R = 5000/R
Total Cost = Acquisition cost + Spares cost + Downtime cost
= 685.2917e^0.003779(5000/R) + 5000R + 1000R
= 685e^20/R + 6000R
I need to find R such that it will minimize Total Cost and I am stuck. Please check if my approach is correct. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ptlnguyen said:

Homework Statement

A system is to be operated 5000 hours per year, where
Total Cost (for 5 years) = Acquisition cost + Spares cost + Downtime cost
System acquisition cost is related to MTBF, θ, as follows:

CA(θ) = 685.2917e0.003779θ
The average cost of a spare item is $1,000 and the average cost of downtime associated with failure is $5,000.

Homework Equations

Find MTBF or θ required for a system that will result in approximate minimum total cost over a five-year period if the

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt but not sure
Find θ = MTBF
1/MTBF = R/T where R= rate of failure and T= total time = 5000hrs
=> MTBF =T/R = 5000/R
Total Cost = Acquisition cost + Spares cost + Downtime cost
= 685.2917e^0.003779(5000/R) + 5000R + 1000R
= 685e^20/R + 6000R
I need to find R such that it will minimize Total Cost and I am stuck. Please check if my approach is correct. Thanks.

Welcome to PF, ptlnguyen! :smile:

Overall your formula seem fine, but I'm missing references to the 5 year the system is supposed to operate.
So I think you should have a couple of factors 5 in there somewhere...

To minimize total cost, you're supposed to take the derivative with respect to R.
Set it equal to zero, and solve R.
Do you know how to take a derivative?

1. What is total cost minimization?

Total cost minimization is a concept in economics that refers to the process of finding the most cost-efficient way to produce a certain level of output. It involves minimizing the total cost of production, which includes both fixed and variable costs.

2. Why is total cost minimization important?

Total cost minimization is important because it allows businesses to produce goods or services at the lowest possible cost, which can lead to higher profits. It also helps businesses stay competitive in the market by offering lower prices to customers.

3. How is total cost minimization achieved?

Total cost minimization is achieved by finding the optimal combination of inputs (such as labor, materials, and equipment) to produce a certain level of output. This can be done through techniques like cost-benefit analysis and using production functions.

4. What are the benefits of total cost minimization?

The benefits of total cost minimization include increased profits, lower prices for customers, and a competitive advantage in the market. It also allows businesses to allocate resources more efficiently and make better decisions regarding production and pricing strategies.

5. What are some challenges of total cost minimization?

Some challenges of total cost minimization include accurately estimating costs and identifying the most efficient production methods. There may also be trade-offs between minimizing costs and maintaining quality standards or meeting customer demands. Additionally, external factors such as changes in market conditions or unexpected events can impact the effectiveness of total cost minimization strategies.