Total Efficiency in Parallel Transmissions

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of finding a single expression for the total power efficiency of a parallel transmission system. The efficiency of each component, such as gears, motors, and pumps, can vary and affect the overall efficiency. The inclusion of a differential adds complexity to the calculation of torque. The solution may involve active control to manage torque split between multiple engines.
sdvermillion
I'm trying to figure out an expression for the total power efficiency from engine to wheel of a parallel transmission in terms of the efficiency of all the components in between (i.e. spur gears, motors, pumps, etc.) such that

[tex]P_{engine}[/tex] = [tex]\eta[/tex]([tex]\eta_{i}[/tex])*2[tex]P_{wheel}[/tex]

See attached image.

Attachments

• para_trans.png
    para_trans.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 483
Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem occurs when the power paths are reunited before going into a differential and out to the wheel. At this point, the torques are being added together (or subtracted etc.). So for one path, the efficiency may be n1*n2*n3 and the other path may be n4*n5*n6 such that, from the diagram attached, T3 = n1*n2*n3*(1/m1)*T1 + n4*n5*n6*(1/m2)*T2, where m1 and m2 are gear ratios. I want to be able to say T3 = n*((1/m1)*T1 + (1/m2)*T2). I can't simply pull out the efficiencies because they may not be the same number.

As the efficiencies of the transmissions are probably variable with torque transmitted (and system speed), I think this becomes an indeterminate problem for the general case. The torque flow or split can, and will, vary greatly due to small secondary influences. For a specific torque split it can be computed by looking up the efficiency for the specific speed and torque for each transmission.

On a couple of somewhat similar systems I was acquainted with, they used an active control to manage the torque split between dual engines. On 1 of these the active control system was the pilot reading a torque meter.

1. What is total efficiency in parallel transmissions?

Total efficiency in parallel transmissions is a measure of the effectiveness of transmitting data over multiple channels simultaneously. It takes into account factors such as the number of channels, the data rate, and the error rate to determine the overall efficiency of the transmission.

2. How is total efficiency calculated?

Total efficiency is calculated by dividing the data rate of the parallel transmission by the data rate of a single channel. This gives a percentage that represents the efficiency of using multiple channels to transmit data.

3. What factors affect total efficiency in parallel transmissions?

The main factors that affect total efficiency in parallel transmissions include the number of channels, the data rate of each channel, the error rate of each channel, and the synchronization between channels. Other factors such as channel crosstalk and noise can also impact total efficiency.

4. How can total efficiency be improved in parallel transmissions?

Total efficiency can be improved by increasing the number of channels, increasing the data rate of each channel, and reducing the error rate of each channel. Proper synchronization between channels and minimizing channel crosstalk and noise can also help improve total efficiency.

5. What are the advantages of using parallel transmissions?

Parallel transmissions offer several advantages, including increased data transmission speed, improved reliability, and the ability to transmit larger amounts of data. They also provide redundancy, as data can still be transmitted even if one channel fails. Additionally, parallel transmissions can be more cost-effective compared to using a single high-speed channel.