Total Energy a 12V Battery Can Supply

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of total energy that a 12 V battery with a rating of 200 Ah can supply. There is confusion about whether to use the formula P=IV or E=1/2 CV^2, and the conversation also touches on the units of Ah and how to convert to kWh. Ultimately, it is determined that P=IV is the correct approach and the correct calculation is 2.4 kWh. There is also a brief mention of capacitance and its relationship to charge.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

A 12 V battery is rated at 200 Ah (Amps hours). How much total energy can it supply?

Homework Equations

P=IV

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did E = 1/2 C V^2. (Got 4,320,000 J, although I'm not sure if that is correct). But now I need to convert it to kwh so my question is can I use P = IV in this manner:
P = 200 Ah * 12 V
P = 2400 Wh = 2.4 kWh
or do I need to manipulate my original energy finding?

4,320,000 J != 2.4 kWh so one must be wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Huh? amp hours? That's a new one.. You plugged in 200 Ah for I..meaning that Ah is a measurement of current? According to Wikipedia, Ah is a measurement of electrical charge..

Where did 1/2 C V^2 come from? What did you use for C, and why?

P has units of power, not energy - to get energy you have to multiply by a time, which is what you did, though this might have been accidental since amp-hours are units of charge, not current.

Also, 2400 Wh is not equal to 24 kWh.

Alright, using P=IV was the wrong approach

Heres how I calculated Capacitance:
First 200 Ah * 60 min/h * 60 s/min = 720,000 Coulombs.
CV = q
C*12 = 720,000 C
C = 60,000 F (which seems really high)

1/2 * 60,000 F * 12^2 = 4,320,000 J which is equal to 1.2 kWh ( i think )

Am I calculating the correct amount of charge?

Last edited:
CV = q ??
the C refers to capacitance. do you have a capacitor in the circuit?
Hint: what do you have to do to the equation P = IV to get units of energy on the left hand side?

Heh, whoops, wasn't thinking about actually needing a capacitor in it.

Anyway, now I got it, thanks all.

1. How much energy can a 12V battery supply?

The total energy that a 12V battery can supply depends on its capacity, which is measured in ampere-hours (Ah). A typical 12V battery has a capacity of 50Ah, which means it can supply 600 watt-hours (Wh) of energy (12V x 50Ah = 600Wh).

2. How long can a 12V battery supply energy?

The duration of energy supply from a 12V battery depends on the power consumption of the device it is powering. For example, if a device consumes 10 watts per hour, a 12V battery with a capacity of 50Ah can supply energy for 60 hours (600Wh / 10W = 60 hours).

3. How does the temperature affect the total energy supply of a 12V battery?

The total energy supply of a 12V battery can be affected by temperature. In general, higher temperatures can increase the battery's capacity and thus increase the total energy supply. However, extreme temperatures, whether hot or cold, can also decrease the battery's lifespan and overall performance.

4. Can a 12V battery supply more energy than its rated capacity?

No, a 12V battery cannot supply more energy than its rated capacity. Attempting to draw more energy from the battery can damage it and potentially cause it to fail.

5. How can I calculate the total energy supply of a 12V battery for my specific device?

To calculate the total energy supply of a 12V battery for your device, you will need to know the power consumption of your device in watts per hour. Then, simply divide the battery's capacity in watt-hours by the power consumption of your device to determine the estimated duration of energy supply.