• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Total mechanical energy of orbiting satellite

• Thread starter aloman
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
what would be the total mechanical energy of a 200 kg satellite in a geosynchronous orbit around the earth? The only known data is the radius of the earth and mass of the earth the mass of the satellite, m=200 kg, it would have a period of T=24h, but i do not know the radius of the orbit.

2. Homework Equations

WNC=E2-E1

Fc=mac

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to get an answer with out knowing the radius of the orbit. I tried to make use of the period however i would still need the radius as the velocity is dependent on the radius of the orbit.

I would appreciate any help.

If F=ma is used for the satellite and the value of G is given then the radius of the orbit can be found.

how would the gravitational constant help?

F=ma
GMEm=mv2
r2 r

the only thing i can think of would be

v2=GME
r

but then i have two unknowns the v and r.

Note that v = rω

and ω = 2π/T where the value of T is known.

PeterO

Homework Helper
1. Homework Statement
what would be the total mechanical energy of a 200 kg satellite in a geosynchronous orbit around the earth? The only known data is the radius of the earth and mass of the earth the mass of the satellite, m=200 kg, it would have a period of T=24h, but i do not know the radius of the orbit.

2. Homework Equations

WNC=E2-E1

Fc=mac

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to get an answer with out knowing the radius of the orbit. I tried to make use of the period however i would still need the radius as the velocity is dependent on the radius of the orbit.

I would appreciate any help.
You can look up the Radius of the moon's orbit, and the Period of the Moon, then apply R3/T2 to find the radius of the orbit with a period of 24 hours [1 day].