1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total mechanical energy of orbiting satellite

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    what would be the total mechanical energy of a 200 kg satellite in a geosynchronous orbit around the earth? The only known data is the radius of the earth and mass of the earth the mass of the satellite, m=200 kg, it would have a period of T=24h, but i do not know the radius of the orbit.

2. Relevant equations

WNC=E2-E1

Fc=mac

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to get an answer with out knowing the radius of the orbit. I tried to make use of the period however i would still need the radius as the velocity is dependent on the radius of the orbit.

I would appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2
    If F=ma is used for the satellite and the value of G is given then the radius of the orbit can be found.

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    how would the gravitational constant help?

F=ma
    GMEm=mv2
    r2 r

the only thing i can think of would be

v2=GME
    r

but then i have two unknowns the v and r.

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4
    Note that v = rω

and ω = 2π/T where the value of T is known.

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

You can look up the Radius of the moon's orbit, and the Period of the Moon, then apply R3/T2 to find the radius of the orbit with a period of 24 hours [1 day].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook