Total pressure load on a chain

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of tension on a bike chain while riding up a mountain road at a constant speed and grade. The weight of the bike and rider, not including frictional losses or wind, is 200 pounds. The calculation for tension in the chain is Wsinθ times (speed-of-bike)/(speed-of-chain). The length of the lever at the rear point also plays a role in determining the pressure on the chain.
maximiliano
Scenario- I'm riding a bike up a mountain road, at a constant speed of 5 mph, at a constant grade of 11%. The bike plus me (and all gear) weighs in at 200 pounds.

Based on this (and excluding frictional losses, wind, etc.) how much TOTAL pressure, in pounds is on the chain? Would it be WxG (200*.11) for a result of 22 pounds? Yea? No?

I know this is basic...but I want to be sure I've not overlooked something and thus will take myself on a tangent. Wouldn't be the first time.:yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
hi maximiliano! :smile:
maximiliano said:
Scenario- I'm riding a bike up a mountain road, at a constant speed of 5 mph, at a constant grade of 11%.

… (and excluding frictional losses, wind, etc.) how much TOTAL pressure, in pounds is on the chain?

it's not pressure, it's tension, and that's a force (measured in pounds)

it depends on the gearing

from the work energy theorem, the rate of work done equals the rate of change of (mechanical) energy

at constant speed, and excluding friction etc, the energy is just weight (W) times height

so the rate of change of energy is W times height-per-second, = w times speed times sin11° (∆KE = Wvsinθ)

work done = force times distance, so rate of work done = force times speed (of the thing doing the force),

so force = rate of work done / speed of the chain

= Wvsinθ / speed of the chain

= Wsinθ times (speed-of-bike)/(speed-of-chain) :wink:

(similarly, the force you apply to the pedals is Wsinθ times (speed-of-bike)/(speed-of-pedals))

Thanks Tim. Yes, but I'm ONLY looking for the calculation of the tension on the chain. Work done doesn't interest me one bit, and that's why I intentionally excluded any mention of time.

I was just taking the weight being moved multiplied by the grade/slope of travel. I used a VERY slow speed intentionally as well, because I don't want there to be any additional tension (of any significant amount anyway) added to the equation. Gravity is the only constant force I wanted there.

So...it's 200 pounds moving at a slow and perfectly constant rate of speed up a road of 11% slope. The tension on the chain, in pounds, would be 200*.11? Or is the calculation not linear like that?

maximiliano said:
Thanks Tim. Yes, but I'm ONLY looking for the calculation of the tension on the chain.

yes, and that's why i gave you the calculation for the force (the tension) in the chain :smile:
tiny-tim said:
so force =

= Wsinθ times (speed-of-bike)/(speed-of-chain) :wink:

Thanks Tim! Boy am I a dumb bell! Gee, I can't understand how I made such a basic mistake. Tension on the chain depends on the length of the lever at the rear (drive) point. That is, what final gear I'm in. So...there is a lot more to the formula in order to arrive at pressure on the chain given a constant amount of work.

Thanks for setting me straight. I was just on a hike and it hit me how dumb my question was. I guess I'll have to keep working on this one using the distance from the center point of the wheel to where the chain is connected to the gear...and use the result as part of the formula for actual chain tension.

What is total pressure load on a chain?

Total pressure load on a chain refers to the combined forces that act on a chain, including external forces such as weight and tension, as well as internal forces such as friction and bending. It is an important factor to consider in the design and use of chains in various industries.

How is total pressure load on a chain calculated?

The total pressure load on a chain is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the chain. This includes the weight of the chain itself, the weight of any loads attached to the chain, the tension from the chain being pulled, and any other external and internal forces that may be present.

Why is it important to consider total pressure load on a chain?

It is important to consider total pressure load on a chain in order to ensure the safety and efficiency of the chain in its intended use. If the total pressure load exceeds the maximum load capacity of the chain, it can lead to failure and potentially dangerous situations. Additionally, understanding the total pressure load can help with proper maintenance and replacement of the chain.

How does the total pressure load affect the strength of a chain?

The total pressure load directly affects the strength of a chain. The higher the total pressure load, the greater the stress on the chain, which can lead to weakening and potential failure. It is important to select a chain with a suitable load capacity for the intended use in order to maintain its strength and durability.

What factors can affect the total pressure load on a chain?

There are several factors that can affect the total pressure load on a chain, including the weight and type of loads attached, the angle at which the chain is pulled, the speed of the chain, and the condition and maintenance of the chain. It is important to consider all of these factors in order to accurately calculate and account for the total pressure load on a chain.