Derivative of a Tough Equation: Simplified Explanation and Steps

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum launch angle for a projectile to always move away from the initial point. The problem is not explicitly stated but it involves finding the interval of theta for which the derivative of the magnitude of the position vector is positive. The conversation also includes hints and suggestions on how to approach the problem and check for the correctness of the solution.
PMP
Would you tell me what is:

[tex]\frac{d\sqrt{(v_0cos \theta t)^2 + (v_0 \sin \theta t - 1/2gt^2)^2}}{dt}[/tex]

Please. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a simple application of the chain rule. What have you done so far?

I have just basic knowledge of derivatives, this exercise is one difficult for my level, so I would just like to know if I derivated this correctly. Would you help me, neutrino?

Hint:
Simplify the radicand first!

PMP said:
so I would just like to know if I derivated this correctly.
Post what you have done so that we can check if it is done correctly.

Treat [tex]v_0cos \theta t)^2 + (v_0 \sin \theta t - 1/2gt^2)^2[/tex] as a single function of t, say g, under the square root. If the whole function is denoted by f, then [tex]f = \sqrt{g}[/tex]. Now use the chain rule [tex]\frac{df}{dt} = \frac{df}{dg}\frac{dg}{dt}[/tex]

Thanks arildno, I have already done that, and have my result. I really just want to see if it is correct. Is it:

[tex]2v_0^2t +g^2t^3 - 3v_0\sin \theta gt^2[/tex] ?

The denominator doesen't matter because I will equal that derivative to zero.

That is right.

Ok, thank you all of you. My basic derivative technique works. :)

How would I find the maximum value of theta, such that the this derivative is positive for t belonging to the interval [0, 2v0sin(theta)/g]?

No ideas? :)

Knock, knock!

Who's there? :P

If you want to maximise the above derivative wrt to theta, then differentiate it wrt to theta and set it zero.

neutrino said:
Who's there? :P
That person already ran way. :rofl:

I should differentiate wrt to theta [tex]2v_0^2t +g^2t^3 - 3v_0\sin \theta gt^2[/tex] or the initial [tex]\sqrt{(v_0cos \theta t)^2 + (v_0 \sin \theta t - 1/2gt^2)^2}[/tex] ?

Because if it is to differentiate the above I would get [tex]\cos \theta = 0[/tex], right? And it is not the correct result.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on which function you want to maximise.
How would I find the maximum value of theta, such that the this derivative is positive for t belonging to the interval [0, 2v0sin(theta)/g]?

This is a projectile position vector and I need to find theta such that the magnitude of the position vector during the projectile motion is always increasing. So I did dr/dt>=0. Got the expression above, but now if I differentite this wrt to theta I will not get the correct result. The deravite is [itex]-3v_0\cos\theta gt^2[/itex]. Right?

neutrino, knock, knock...

PMP said:
neutrino, knock, knock...
My turn, my turn... who's there...? :wink:
PMP said:
This is a projectile position vector
Is [itex]\theta[/itex] your launch angle?

Yes, it is. Thanks for being prepared to help.

PMP said:
Yes, it is. Thanks for being prepared to help.
No problem, then why may I ask you to state the complete problem as given in your text.

This not in a text. But it is like this: What is the maximum lauch angle for a projectile be always going away from me? That is, for the magnitude of the position vector be always increasing in time. I don't want you to solve the problem, just to say if I am in the right way. Thanks in advance!

I guess. The initial conditions are:

x_0=0
y_0=0

But that is the magnitude of the postion vector. Is it right?

You do not need to find the second derivative, simply find the interval of theta such that

[tex]2v_0^2t +g^2t^3 - 3v_0\cdot gt^2\sin \theta > 0[/tex]

Do you understand why?

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much a function is changing at that point.

2. Why is the derivative of a tough equation important?

The derivative of a tough equation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It also helps us solve optimization problems and understand the slope of a curve at a specific point.

3. How do you find the derivative of a tough equation?

To find the derivative of a tough equation, we use a set of rules and formulas known as the derivative rules. These rules provide step-by-step instructions for finding the derivative of a function.

4. What are the steps for finding the derivative of a tough equation?

The steps for finding the derivative of a tough equation include:
1. Identify the function and its variable
2. Apply the derivative rules to the function
3. Simplify the resulting expression
4. Substitute the value of the variable to find the derivative at a specific point (optional)

5. Can you provide an example of finding the derivative of a tough equation?

Sure, let's take the function f(x) = 2x^3 + 5x^2 - 3x + 1. The derivative of this function would be f'(x) = 6x^2 + 10x - 3. We apply the power rule to each term, which states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). Then, we simplify the resulting expression by combining like terms.