Calculating Time Length of Train and Wall Intersection

In summary, the problem presented is that a person on a train with a window measuring 0.9m by 2.0m is trying to determine the time it takes for a wall at a 12 degree slope to pass by from the bottom to the top of the window. The solution involves creating a triangle and using trigonometry to calculate the distance traveled by the wall and adding the length of the window. The answer is 2.1 seconds, but the poster believes their logic may be incorrect. They apologize for posting in the wrong section and promise not to do it again.
dnt
dont know how else to word the title but here's the problem:

you are in a train traveling on a straight and flat track (just assume its going right to left for my explanation) at 3.0 m/s. your window is 0.9 m high by 2.0 m wide and as you look out, the wall is going up at a 12 degree slope. the question is what is the time length between when the wall appears at the bottom of your window til it leaves at the top?

the way i did it was i created a triangle (with angle 12) and assumed that the wall had to "travel" 0.9 m up my window of sight.

from there i calculated the bottom part of this triangle using trig to get 4.23 m.

however, i also needed to add in the length of the window itself since you could see the wall from either end (i assume you start looking at the window from the far left end and as it travels look out the right end to maximize how long you can see it). so i added 2.0 m to that length to get 6.23 m.

then just divide by 3.0 m/s to get the time 2.078 s. answer in book states 2.1 sec.

i just don't think my logic is right however. i think i just got lucky and actually didnt do it the right way. the question is so difficult for me to visualize so that i can correctly solve it.

help. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Even with a thread telling people not to post things like this in the General Physics section, we are still getting them there. What else is there to do when a simple and obvious message like that is either ignored or missed?

Zz.

sorry. won't do it again.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Train vs wall question"?

The "Train vs wall question" is a theoretical physics problem that asks what would happen if an unstoppable train were to collide with an immovable wall.

2. Is it possible for an unstoppable train to exist?

No, an unstoppable train is a hypothetical concept that cannot exist in reality due to the laws of physics.

3. Can an immovable wall truly exist?

Similar to an unstoppable train, an immovable wall is also a theoretical concept and cannot exist in reality. All objects have some degree of motion and can be moved by enough force.

4. What would happen if an unstoppable train collided with an immovable wall?

The answer to this question depends on how you define an "unstoppable train" and an "immovable wall". In most scenarios, the train would likely experience a sudden and immense force, causing it to buckle or break apart. The wall, on the other hand, would also experience a tremendous force and could potentially shatter or crumble.

5. What does this thought experiment teach us about physics?

The "Train vs wall question" is often used as a way to illustrate the concept of inertia, which is an object's tendency to resist changes in its state of motion. It also highlights the fact that in reality, there are no truly unstoppable or immovable objects, and all objects are subject to forces and motion.