When and at what distance does the second train reach its maximum speed?

• Thread starter fatteingenting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trains
In summary, the first train starts out from Stavanger at 8.14 and arrives in Kristiansand at 9.28. The second train starts out from Kristiansand at 9.28 and arrives in Stavanger at 10.18. The two trains collide at 10.48, at a relative speed of 0.
fatteingenting
A train starts out from Stavanger at 8.14 (exactly), in direction of Kristian- sand. It goes with constant speed 80.0 km/h until Sandnes, a distance of 15.0 km. Then it accelerates (instantaneously) to 120 km/h and proceeds towards Kristiansand. Kristiansand is 250 km from Stavanger.
A second train starts out from Kristiansand at 9.28 (exactly), direction Stav- anger. The driver immediately falls asleep with his foot on the accelerator, and the train accelerates at a constant rate of 0.100 m/s2, until it reaches the maximum speed of 160 km/h. It then accelerates no longer, but continues towards Stavanger at that maximum speed.

b) At what time, and at which distance from Kristiansand does the second train reach the maximum speed?

I know that the train uses 5760 s to reach max speed (t=(160km/h-0km/h)/0.100 m/s^2)
But how do I calculate the distance?

I tried s=1/2at^2, but that was wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
fatteingenting said:
I tried s=1/2at^2, but that was wrong...

This would be the traveled distance, not the distance remaining to the destination.

Hello fatte, and welcome to PF.
You say s=1/2at^2, but that was wrong. What did you get as answer and why is it wrong ?
@Odor: the train starts at K and the question is "at which distance from K", so what is wrong with the traveled distance ?

fatteingenting said:
I know that the train uses 5760 s to reach max speed (t=(160km/h-0km/h)/0.100 m/s^2)
How is that again? 5760 seconds times 0.100 meters/second2 is 576 meters/second. That's much faster than 160 km/hour.

fatteingenting said:
That's not the time I get from that calculation. What's 160km/h in m/s?

My guess is fatte saw the light and forgot to tell us. Either that, or he/she has fallen asleep (like the driver).

Railroad folks will reassure us that this exercise is completely unreal. Even dropping dead on top of the accelerator will quickly (50, 60 sec) cause the train to come to an uncomfortable emergency stop. Anyone care to explain ?

Continuing this problem, can someone help with this question?:
d) Where, when and at what relative speed do the two trains collide?

BvU said:
My guess is fatte saw the light and forgot to tell us. Either that, or he/she has fallen asleep (like the driver).

Railroad folks will reassure us that this exercise is completely unreal. Even dropping dead on top of the accelerator will quickly (50, 60 sec) cause the train to come to an uncomfortable emergency stop. Anyone care to explain ?
There's a console button that must be pressed when a buzzer sounds every few minutes/whenever. Failing this it's assumed the loco is driverless and the whole kit & caboodle grinds to a halt.

Toad appears to know something we don't know yet: that the trains are on one and the same track ?

If so, what have you worked out thus far ?

(all this provided the forum allows this kind of continuation...)

1. How do trains and super-heroes relate to one another?

Trains and super-heroes are often depicted together in popular media, such as comic books and movies. Trains are commonly used as a mode of transportation for super-heroes, and they can also serve as a backdrop for exciting action scenes.

2. Are there any super-heroes with train-related powers?

There are a few super-heroes who have train-related powers or abilities. For example, Marvel's X-Men character Colossus has the ability to transform his body into steel, which allows him to stop trains in their tracks. The DC Comics character Rail, from the Doom Patrol, has the power to control and manipulate trains.

3. Why are trains often used as a symbol of strength and power in super-hero stories?

Trains are often seen as strong and powerful machines, capable of carrying heavy loads and traveling at high speeds. This makes them a fitting symbol for super-heroes, who are also known for their strength and power. Trains can also represent a sense of progress and advancement, which aligns with the idea of super-heroes being at the forefront of change and progress.

4. Are there any famous train-related super-hero storylines?

One of the most well-known train-related super-hero storylines is the "Days of Future Past" arc in the X-Men comics. In this story, the X-Men must stop a mutant-hunting robot from being delivered via train to the Sentinel program, which would result in a dystopian future. Another famous example is the Spider-Man story "The Death of Jean DeWolff," where the villain Sin-Eater causes chaos on a train and Spider-Man must stop him.

5. How has the depiction of trains and super-heroes changed over time?

In the early days of super-hero comics, trains were often portrayed as objects to be saved from danger, with super-heroes swooping in to rescue passengers from a runaway train or a villain's plot. However, as super-hero stories have evolved, trains have become more integrated into the action and are often used as a setting for epic fight scenes or as a tool for super-heroes to showcase their abilities. Additionally, with the rise of technology and transportation methods, trains are not as prominent in modern super-hero stories as they once were.