Trajectory problem - launching from origin.

In summary, an archer fish squirts drops of water at an insect to knock it into the water. The drop is launched at a different angle if its path is to intersect the insect. The angle Φ is 36.0° and the distance d is 0.900 m.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Upon spotting an insect on a twig overhanging water, an archer fish squirts water drops at the insect to knock it into the water (Fig. 4-38). Although the fish sees the insect along a straight-line path at angle Φ and distance d, a drop must be launched at a different angle θ0 if its parabolic path is to intersect the insect. If Φ = 36.0° and d = 0.900 m, what launch angle θ0 is required for the drop to be at the top of the parabolic path when it reaches the insect?"

Homework Equations

##y=(tanθ_0)x-\frac{gx^2}{2(v_0cosθ_0)^2}##
##R = \frac{v_0^2}{g}sin2θ_0##
##θ=36°##
##|d|=0.9m##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\vec d = (0.728m)i+(0.529m)j##
##0.728m=\frac{v_0^2}{9.8\frac{m}{s^2}}sin72°##
##7.1344=v_0^2(sin72°)##
##v_0=2.335\frac{m}{s}##

##0.529m=(0.72812)(tanθ)-\frac{(9.8\frac{m}{s^2})(0.728m)^2}{2[(2.335\frac{m}{s})(cosθ°)]^2}sin72°##
##(-0.729)(sec^2θ)+(0.72812)tanθ-0.529=0##
##(-0.729)(tan^2θ+1)+(0.72812)tanθ-0.529=0##
##(-0.729)tan^2θ+(0.72812)tanθ-1.257=0##

Let:

##q=tanθ##
so:
##q^2-0.999q+1.724=0##

And then I come to an impasse at the 4ac>b2 block. I'm thinking I'm mistaking my R for my x... So how would I find R for v0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
##0.728m=\frac{v_0^2}{9.8\frac{m}{s^2}}sin72°##
36 degrees is Φ, not θ0.
And on what basis are you using the range equation here? (You can make use of it, but not in the way you have applied it.) In the range equation, how exactly is the range defined?

Incidentally, in reality, the archer fish also has to allow for refraction.

I guess... 2x = R?

If 36° = Φ, then that leaves two unknowns in the equation...

##0.728m=\frac{v_0^2}{9.8\frac{m}{s^2}}sinθcosθ##

Yeah, two unknowns... I can't really solve for anything. The least I can do is group them...

##7.1344\frac{m^2}{s^2}=(v_0sinθ)(v_0cosθ)##

haruspex said:

Incidentally, in reality, the archer fish also has to allow for refraction.
No, the water drop is launched from the surface of the water.

Eclair_de_XII said:
I guess... 2x = R?
Yes. A figure helps. What is y of the fly?
upload_2016-3-10_6-22-27.png

0.529 m...

I should really start drawing these pictures on my own, instead of trying to do these problems without one.

Likes CWatters
Eclair_de_XII said:
0.529 m...

I should really start drawing these pictures on my own, instead of trying to do these problems without one.
Yes. :smile: So what is θ?

I'm still missing v0, though. Without it, I can't complete the operation. And it doesn't give me a time.

ehild said:
No, the water drop is launched from the surface of the water.
Sure, but are the fish's eyes above water?

ehild said:
Yes. :smile:
Eclair_de_XII said:
I'm still missing v0, though. Without it, I can't complete the operation. And it doesn't give me a time.
You can get the expression for x and the maximum y in therms of θ. What is their ratio?

No, I derived x and y from Φ, so it'll just give me 36° again.

Like I said, I need the vx and vy to do the equation.

haruspex said:
Sure, but are the fish's eyes above water?
It can be . Otherwise the problem would indicate to take refraction into account, and both the angle and the distance would be different.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Like I said, I need the vx and vy to do the equation.
you have x= ## \frac{v_0^2}{2g}sin2θ_0##. What is the maximum of the parabola? Substitute for x into the formula for y. the speed cancels if you take the ratio y/x.

haruspex said:
http://www.australasianscience.com.au/article/issue-december-2010/spitting-image.html
But I think the problem setter does not intend this to be taken into account.
Well, the distance d is not really needed to solve the problem. The article is very interesting, but it is quite complicated how the fish sees that fly. So I think the angle given is the angle in air the direction to the fly makes with the horizontal.

Okay, I got it.

##\frac{y}{x}=tanθ-(\frac{g\frac{v_0^2}{g}sinθcosθ}{2v_0^2cos^2θ})=tanθ-\frac{sinθcosθ}{2cos^2θ}=tanθ-\frac{1}{2}tanθ##
##0.727=\frac{1}{2}tanθ##
##1.454=tanθ##
##θ=55.48°##

Geez, this was much harder than it looked.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Okay, I got it.

##\frac{y}{x}=tanθ-(\frac{g\frac{v_0^2}{g}sinθcosθ}{2v_0^2cos^2θ})=tanθ-\frac{sinθcosθ}{2cos^2θ}=tanθ-\frac{1}{2}tanθ##
##0.727=\frac{1}{2}tanθ##
##1.454=tanθ##
##θ=55.48°##

Geez, this was much harder than it looked.
Well done.

What is a trajectory problem?

A trajectory problem involves calculating the path of an object in motion, taking into account factors such as initial velocity, acceleration, and air resistance.

How do you solve a trajectory problem?

To solve a trajectory problem, you will need to use mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and trigonometry, to determine the object's position at different points in time.

What is the importance of understanding trajectory problems?

Understanding trajectory problems is important in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and ballistics. It allows us to predict and control the motion of objects, which is crucial in designing and optimizing various systems and technologies.

What factors affect the trajectory of an object?

The trajectory of an object can be affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and external forces like gravity or wind. Other factors such as the shape and weight of the object can also play a role.

How can trajectory problems be applied in real-life situations?

Trajectory problems have many practical applications, such as predicting the flight path of a rocket, determining the optimal angle for a golf swing, or calculating the trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It can also be used in sports, such as in pitching a baseball or kicking a soccer ball.