Trajectory question(find spped of impact)

In summary, a golfer hits a ball with an initial angle of θ = 45 degrees and it hits a window at a height of 10m and a distance of 80m away. The initial launch speed of the ball was found to be 30m/s. A second golfer hits a ball from the same spot with an unknown angle and speed, and it also hits the window at the same height 1.8 seconds after launch. Using the trajectory equation and knowing the time, the product of cosθ and v0 was found to be 44.45 and the product of v0 and sinθ was found to be 14.38. Using these figures in the velocity functions, the horizontal velocity was found
vande060
A golfer drives a ball with initial angle
θ = 45 from a tee at the origin. The ball
hits a window at height h = 10m a distance
D = 80m away.

a. Find the initial launch speed v0 of the ball.

b. Suppose a second golfer tees off from the
same spot at an unknown angle and speed,
and miraculously her shot also hits the window
at the same height 1.8 s after launch. With
what speed did it hit the window?

c. Was her ball ascending or descending or in level flight when it hit?

y(x) = tan*x -.5*g*(x^2/v0^2*cos^2)

part a was easy enough, i solved the above trajectory equation for v0 to get v0=30m/s, but after that i can't figure out how to solve part b and c. it seems everything i could solve for to get the velocity of impact requires knowing the initial angle and initial speed

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

i am revisiting this problem currently, still having trouble with parts b and c

all right, if this method does not have any critical errors in it, i believe i solved it(fingers crossed)so this is how i did it:

since t =1.8seconds, i can find out the product of cosθ and v0

x(t) = v0*cosθ*t

80/1.8 = v0*cosθ

44.45= v0*cosθ

i can do similar for finding the product of v0 and sinθ from the formula

y(t) = v0*sinθ*t - 1/2*g*t^2

10 = v0*sinθ(1.8) - (1/2*9.8*1.8^2)

10 + 15.88 = v0*sinθ(1.8)

14.38 = v0*sinθ

then i proceeded to use these figures in the velocity functions..

vx(t) = v0*cosθ and vy(t) = v0*sinθ - gt

first the horizontal velocity is just the same:44.45= vx(t)

next, solving for vertical velocity

vy(t) = v0*sinθ - gt

= 14.38 - (9.8*1.8)

vy(t)= -3.26 which is the answer for c, because it is negative acceleration, meaning heading back to Earth i think

next the speed of impact is given by formula:
s = |v| = (vx^2+ vy^2)^1/2

so [(-3.26)^2 + (44.45)^2 ] = 44.57 m/s, which is the answer to b

is it right? i hope so, but i am unsure of some of my math here

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the speed of impact in a trajectory question?

In order to calculate the speed of impact in a trajectory question, you will need to know the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the distance of the impact point from the launch point. You can use the formula v = √(vi² + 2ad) to find the speed of impact, where v is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance of impact.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity in a trajectory question?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s², which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity. This value is used in calculations for trajectories because gravity has a significant effect on the path of a projectile.

3. How does air resistance affect the speed of impact in a trajectory question?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant effect on the speed of impact in a trajectory question. As an object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which can slow it down. This means that the speed of impact will be lower than the calculated value if air resistance is not accounted for in the calculation.

4. Can the speed of impact in a trajectory question be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, in some cases, the speed of impact can be greater than the initial velocity in a trajectory question. This can happen when the angle of launch is less than 45 degrees and the projectile follows a parabolic path. In this scenario, the horizontal component of the initial velocity remains constant, while the vertical component increases due to the acceleration of gravity, resulting in a higher speed of impact.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the speed of impact in a trajectory question?

The calculation of the speed of impact in a trajectory question has many real-life applications, including sports such as baseball, football, and golf. It is also used in ballistics to determine the trajectory of bullets and other projectiles. In engineering, it is essential for designing and testing equipment such as rockets, aircraft, and vehicles. Additionally, forensic scientists may use this calculation to analyze and reconstruct crime scenes involving projectile motion.