Calculating Post-Impact Velocity in a Golf Club-Ball Collision

In summary: So it must be transferred to the golf ball. So you have the energy of the golf club before impact, and the energy of the golf club after impact. The difference between those two is the energy transferred to the golf ball. You can then use the equation E=1/2mv^2 to solve for the velocity of the golf ball. In summary, by using the conservation of energy principle and the equation E=1/2mv^2, we can find the speed of the golf ball just after impact to be 71.238 m/s.
Ry122
High-speed stroboscopic photographs show that the head of a golf club of mass 210 g is traveling at 52.7 m/s just before it strikes a 44.0 g golf ball at rest on a tee. After the collision, the club head travels (in the same direction) at 41.4 m/s. Find the speed of the golf ball just after impact.

My attempt:
E=mv^2
E=(.210)(52.7)^2
E=583.2309J
Energy in the club after striking the ball
E=.210(41.4)^2
E=359.9316
The energy that is transferred to the golf ball = 583.2309-358.9316=223.2993J
Therefore the velocity must be 223.2993=.01v^2
v^2=22329.93
v=149.432
But this is wrong. What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach uses energy conservation. Energy might not be conserved in this collision (maybe there's some distortion of the ball or heating). What would be conserved, even if energy was not? Start with that.

1) Can we assume perfectly elastic collision? If not, the energy is not conserved as some of the energy goes into deforming the ball and club.

2) Is the golfer still applying a torque on the golf club as he swings through? I would guess not if that information is not provided.

3) E=.5mv^2 not mv^2 , although that factor should cancel.

4) The ball is 44g not 10g as you have it.

i corrected those mistakes and my answer is 71.238 which is still wrong

EDIT: I blame being tired last night as the reason I did not to detect the major problem with what you are doing, I suck :P

read what physics girl said again. Energy is not conserved but '...' is.

this gives you your answer.

Last edited:
the energy doesn't just disappear does it?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and is a form of mechanical energy.

How is kinetic energy transferred?

Kinetic energy can be transferred in various ways, such as through collisions, friction, or work done by an external force. When one object transfers its kinetic energy to another, the second object will gain the same amount of kinetic energy that the first object lost.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and speed?

The amount of kinetic energy an object has is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy also increases, and vice versa.

What is the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. Both forms of energy can be converted into each other.

How is kinetic energy related to other forms of energy?

Kinetic energy is a form of mechanical energy, which also includes potential energy and thermal energy. These forms of energy are all related and can be converted into each other, according to the law of conservation of energy.