What Went Wrong with My Attempted Rotation Matrix for A?

In summary, Vela attempted to solve a homework problem involving a rotation about the X3 axis, but he was unable to solve it correctly due to a mistake in his calculation.
w3390

Homework Statement

Find the components of A after a rotation of -45 degrees about X3.

A=(1,1,2)

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=

(cos[tex]\theta[/tex] 0 -sin[tex]\theta[/tex])
( 0 1 0 )
(sin[tex]\theta[/tex] 0 cos[tex]\theta[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Above is my attempt to show you guys the rotation matrix when rotated about the X3 axis. So my strategy was to plug in -45 degrees into the thetas. Once I got a value for each element in the matrix, I checked to see if A' was equal to A. However, I ended up getting A'=(0,SQRT(2),2). This does not equal A.

Where did I go wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
shoudn't the compononents be different after a rotatino?

now a couple of points on what you;ve done anyway...

if you're rotating around X3, the X3 component should be unchanged, so the matrix you have isn't correct.

even if it were correct, the multiplication doesn't look correct, the 1st component should be
[tex]1.cos(\theta) + 1.0 2sin(\theta)[/tex]

No. My X3 component did remain unchanged. It started out as 2 and after the transform it remained 2.

I am confused as to where you got 1.cos(theta) + 1.02sin(theta).

What you've written so far doesn't make sense. You said you calculated

[tex]\mathbf{A}' = \begin{bmatrix}\cos \theta & 0 & -\sin \theta \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ \sin\theta & 0 & \cos\theta\end{bmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 2\end{pmatrix}
= \begin{pmatrix}\cos\theta-2\sin\theta\\1\\\sin\theta+2\cos\theta\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

when [itex]\theta=-45^\circ[/itex], right? How did you get

[tex]\mathbf{A}'=\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ \sqrt{2} \\ 2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

from that?

@vela

That is not the transformation matrix I used. When rotating about X3, the transformation matrix should look like:(cos(theta) sin(theta) 0)
(-sin(theta) cos(theta) 0)
(0 0 1)Then, after multiplying this with A, it would look like:

(cos(-45) + sin(-45))
(-sin(-45) + cos(-45))
(2 )

Which equals:

(1/(sqrt(2)) + -1/(sqrt(2))
(1/(sqrt(2)) + 1/(sqrt(2)))
(2 )Which equals:

(0)
(2/sqrt(2))
(2)That's how I got that answer.

Last edited:
ok that looks better... you need to be clear in communicating what you've what you've done, we can't guess...

so is there an issue?

w3390 said:
@vela

That is not the transformation matrix I used.
OK, but that's the matrix you gave in your original post.
When rotating about X3, the transformation matrix should look like:

(cos(theta) sin(theta) 0)
(-sin(theta) cos(theta) 0)
(0 0 1)

Then, after multiplying this with A, it would look like:

(cos(-45) + sin(-45))
(-sin(-45) + cos(-45))
(2 )

Which equals:

(1/(sqrt(2)) + -1/(sqrt(2))
(1/(sqrt(2)) + 1/(sqrt(2)))
(2 )

Which equals:

(0)
(2/sqrt(2))
(2)

That's how I got that answer.
You have the minus sign in the wrong place in your rotation matrix. Your answer is actually A rotated by +45 degrees.

Okay. Then all that would do is switch the top and middle value of my A' matrix.

1. What are transformation matrices?

Transformation matrices are mathematical representations of linear transformations in a multi-dimensional space. They are used to describe how a set of points or vectors in one coordinate system can be transformed into another coordinate system.

2. What do the elements of a transformation matrix represent?

The elements of a transformation matrix represent the scaling, rotation, and translation components of the transformation. The first row typically represents the x-axis transformation, the second row represents the y-axis transformation, and the third row represents the z-axis transformation.

3. How do you multiply a transformation matrix with a vector?

To multiply a transformation matrix with a vector, the number of columns in the matrix must match the number of rows in the vector. The resulting vector will have the same number of dimensions as the original vector and will represent the transformation of that vector in the new coordinate system.

4. What is the difference between a 2D and 3D transformation matrix?

A 2D transformation matrix has 3 rows and 3 columns, representing transformations in the x and y axes. A 3D transformation matrix has 4 rows and 4 columns, representing transformations in the x, y, and z axes. This extra row and column allows for the representation of translation in the third dimension.

5. How are transformation matrices used in computer graphics?

Transformation matrices are used heavily in computer graphics to create and manipulate 3D objects. They are used to rotate, scale, and translate objects in 3D space, as well as to convert points from one coordinate system to another. They are also used in animation to create smooth and realistic movements of objects on a digital screen.