Calculate Ip: 9V, 120V Transformer Equation

In summary: In general, though, in the schoolwork forums it is not allowed to post solutions to schoolwork/homework problems until after the OP has solved the problem correctly.
tanaygupta2000
Homework Statement
An electrical device operates on 9V and has a resistance of 21 ohm. It is connected to a power supply of 120 V output through a transformer. The current in the primary of the transformer is? (a) 0.032 A, (b) Cannot be determined from the information supplied, (c) 0.23 A, (d) 2.32 A
Relevant Equations
Primary power = Secondary power
VpIp = VsIs
Okay, so according to the transformer equation, VpIp = VsIs
In this question, I know I have to calculate Ip.
I think given, Vp = 9V, Vs = 120 V
Now I don't know what to use in the value of Is.
Please help!
The answer is 2.32 A.

Physics news on Phys.org
tanaygupta2000 said:
Homework Statement:: An electrical device operates on 9V and has a resistance of 21 ohm. It is connected to a power supply of 120 V output through a transformer. The current in the primary of the transformer is? (a) 0.032 A, (b) Cannot be determined from the information supplied, (c) 0.23 A, (d) 2.32 A
Relevant Equations:: Primary power = Secondary power
VpIp = VsIs

Please help!

The answer is 2.32 A.
The more traditional direction for such a power transformer is to call the 120Vrms input the Primary side, and the 9V output the secondary side.

You have the secondary/output power determined by the 9V output and 21 Ohm load resistance. Equating input and output powers (for a first approximation which does not include losses in the transformer) will let you calculate the input current at 120Vrms to generate that power.

tanaygupta2000 said:
The answer is 2.32 A.
That looks very wrong to me. Can you post an image of the problem to be sure that you have transcribed it correctly? Thanks.

Likes tanaygupta2000 and cnh1995
berkeman said:
The more traditional direction for such a power transformer is to call the 120Vrms input the Primary side, and the 9V output the secondary side.

You have the secondary/output power determined by the 9V output and 21 Ohm load resistance. Equating input and output powers (for a first approximation which does not include losses in the transformer) will let you calculate the input current at 120Vrms to generate that power.That looks very wrong to me. Can you post an image of the problem to be sure that you have transcribed it correctly? Thanks.
Sure sir

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 171
Please note sir that these answers are not always correct, as I found many wrong.

berkeman said:
You have the secondary/output power determined by the 9V output and 21 Ohm load resistance. Equating input and output powers (for a first approximation which does not include losses in the transformer) will let you calculate the input current at 120Vrms to generate that power.
@tanaygupta2000, I think this is what the problem is all about. Power balance.
If you follow this procedure, your answer will match one of the options (not d of course ;))

Likes berkeman and tanaygupta2000
Option - (a)

Likes berkeman
tanaygupta2000 said:
Option - (a)
Yes.

Likes tanaygupta2000
tanaygupta2000 said:
Homework Statement:: An electrical device operates on 9V and has a resistance of 21 ohm. It is connected to a power supply of 120 V output through a transformer. The current in the primary of the transformer is? (a) 0.032 A, (b) Cannot be determined from the information supplied, (c) 0.23 A, (d) 2.32 A
Relevant Equations:: Primary power = Secondary power
VpIp = VsIs

Please help!
The answer is 2.32 A.
Secondary power = Vs^2/Rs = 9×9/21 = 3.86W
Primary power = Vp×Ip = 120I
VpIp = VsIs
I = 3.86/120 = 0.032A

Likes Delta2
Vince Kamboj said:
Secondary power = Vs^2/Rs = 9×9/21 = 3.86W
Primary power = Vp×Ip = 120I
VpIp = VsIs
I = 3.86/120 = 0.032A
Welcome to PF, Vince. Since the OP has solved the problem a number of months ago, it is okay to post your solution to the problem. In general, though, in the schoolwork forums it is not allowed to post solutions to schoolwork/homework problems until after the OP has solved the problem correctly. The student must do the bulk of the work here at PF.

Again, Welcome to PF. :smile:

Likes Delta2

1. What is the formula for calculating Ip in a 9V, 120V transformer?

The formula for calculating Ip (primary current) in a transformer is Ip = Is x (Vs/Vp), where Is is the secondary current, Vs is the secondary voltage, and Vp is the primary voltage.

2. How do I determine the primary current in a transformer?

To determine the primary current in a transformer, you can use the formula Ip = Is x (Vs/Vp), where Is is the secondary current, Vs is the secondary voltage, and Vp is the primary voltage. Alternatively, you can measure the primary current using a clamp meter or by calculating the power input (P = Vp x Ip) and dividing by the primary voltage.

3. Can I use this formula for any transformer?

Yes, the formula Ip = Is x (Vs/Vp) can be used for any transformer as long as you have the secondary current and voltage, and the primary voltage. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes ideal transformer conditions and may not be completely accurate in real-world scenarios.

4. What is the significance of calculating Ip in a transformer?

Calculating Ip in a transformer is important for understanding the power flow and efficiency of the transformer. It can also help in selecting the appropriate size and type of transformer for a specific application.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate secondary current?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating primary current. To calculate secondary current, you can use the formula Is = Ip x (Vp/Vs), where Ip is the primary current, Vp is the primary voltage, and Vs is the secondary voltage.