Transformer help please -- AC Mains transformers of different input voltages

• Thread starter Kerso1991
  • Start date
Hiya
Does anyone know if there's any safety or performance issues with going about the input voltage of a transformer? The spec on maplin says on just about every step down transformer that the input is (x)v-230v. As I live in the uk, mains voltages are 240v a.c. Not sure about what to do

Answers and Replies

For sure you can use 230V transformer, and nothing bad will happen. But you should never try to connect a 120V transformer into 240V mains.

Hiya
Does anyone know if there's any safety or performance issues with going about the input voltage of a transformer? The spec on maplin says on just about every step down transformer that the input is (x)v-230v. As I live in the uk, mains voltages are 240v a.c. Not sure about what to do
Will work fine. That's within 5% of a rated voltage. BTW if you measure mains voltage during a day, it rarely reaches claimed 240 V rms. I also live in Europe, in area where official mains voltage is 230 V. At home I measure between 220 and 225 V.

berkeman
Mentor
What's a maplin?

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Make sure it's rated for that voltage at your line frequency.
Are you 50 hz over there ? .
We're 60 hz here and nominal voltage is 240. We measure 252 volts at my friend's house on days when utility load is light.

At 50 hz , transformer iron carries 20% more magnetic flux than for same voltage at 60 hz.
Its hum will be noticeably louder if it's in trouble...
It'd be just my luck to get a transformer made for 60 hz only.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
What's a maplin?
Haha
1. It's nerdy young man who works in a shop and knows the spec of every bit of electronic kit they have for sale.
2. It's a UK chain of shops / internet order company.

Likes berkeman
Jim, it is 50 Hz in UK . At least, it was that last time I was there ;)

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Jim, it is 50 Hz in UK . At least, it was that last time I was there ;)
Oil lamps and candles mostly, over here, actually.

Likes berkeman