Transforming an integral of Exponential to a Contour

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of a function over a given contour and showing that it is equal to zero. The method used involves transforming the contour and using a well-known formula for smooth curves and continuous functions. The final result is shown to be zero using parametrization and the given rule.
shen07
Hi friends, i need some help for this number:

By considering the integral $$\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\exp(z) \mathrm{d}z$$,show that

$$\int_0^{2\pi}\exp(\theta)\cos(\theta+\sin(\theta)) \mathrm{d}\theta = 0$$

i know that since $$f(z)=\exp(z)$$ is holomorphic on and inside $$\gamma(0;1)$$,$$\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\exp(z) \mathrm{d}z = 0$$

But now how do i transform it to a contour so that i can use that integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use $z=e^{i\theta }\,\,\,\, 0\leq \theta \leq 2\pi $

Now use the well-known formula for smooth curves and continuous function $f$

$$\int_{\gamma} f(z)\, dz = \int^b_a f(\gamma(t))\, \gamma'(t)\, dt $$

for $a\leq t \leq b $

ZaidAlyafey said:
Use $z=e^{i\theta }\,\,\,\, 0\leq \theta \leq 2\pi $

Now use the well-known formula for smooth curves and continuous function $f$

$$\int_{\gamma} f(z)\, dz = \int^b_a f(\gamma(t))\, \gamma'(t)\, dt $$

for $a\leq t \leq b $

I have worked out and simplify, can anyone tell me if it is correct and how can i continue with it.

$$on \gamma(0;1)\,\,\,\,\, cos(\theta+sin(\theta))= \frac{z^2+1}{2z} cos(\frac{z^2-1}{2iz})+i \frac{z^2-1}{2z} sin(\frac{z^2-1}{2iz})$$

i express it in terms of exponential, i.e

$$\frac{\sqrt{2z^4+2}}{2z}exp(\frac{z^2-1}{2iz})$$

Now this implies that my integral has been tranformed on $$\gamma(0;1)$$

$$\int_0^{2\pi}\exp(cos(\theta))\cos(\theta+sin( \theta)) \mathrm{d}\theta=\frac{-i}{2}\int_{\gamma(0;1)} exp(\frac{z^2+1}{2z})\,\,\frac{\sqrt{2z^4+2}}{z^2}\,\,exp(\frac{z^2-1}{2iz})\,\,\mathrm{d}z$$

Now I am stuck, how do i show that this integral is ZERO?

You are working in reverse which made things difficult .

We are given

\(\displaystyle \int_{\gamma(0,1)}\text{exp}(z)\, dz \)

Now we can paramatrize the circle \(\displaystyle \gamma(0,1)\) as \(\displaystyle e^{it},\,\, 0\leq t \leq 2\pi \)

so applying the rule we get \(\displaystyle i\int^{2\pi}_0 \text{exp}(e^{it}) e^{it}\, dt=0\)

To transform this integral to a contour, we can use the substitution $$z=e^{i\theta}$$, which transforms the path of integration from a circle to a unit circle. This means that we can rewrite the integral as $$\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(e^{i\theta})ie^{i\theta} \mathrm{d}\theta$$

Next, we can use the fact that $$\cos(\theta+\sin(\theta)) = \mathrm{Re}(e^{i(\theta+\sin(\theta))})$$ to rewrite the integral as $$\mathrm{Re}\left(\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(e^{i\theta})ie^{i\theta} \mathrm{d}\theta\right)$$

Since $$f(z)=\exp(z)$$ is holomorphic on the unit circle, we can use Cauchy's integral formula to evaluate this integral as $$\mathrm{Re}\left(\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\frac{f(z)}{z} \mathrm{d}z\right)$$

But since $$\int_{\gamma(0;1)}\frac{f(z)}{z} \mathrm{d}z = 0$$, we can conclude that $$\int_0^{2\pi}\exp(\theta)\cos(\theta+\sin(\theta)) \mathrm{d}\theta = 0$$

Therefore, we have successfully transformed the original integral into a contour integral that we can use to evaluate the given integral.

1. What is an integral of exponential?

An integral of exponential is a mathematical expression that involves the integration of a function containing an exponential term, such as e^x. It is commonly used in the field of calculus and is an important tool for solving various real-world problems.

2. Why is it important to transform an integral of exponential to a contour?

Transforming an integral of exponential to a contour allows us to evaluate the integral using complex analysis techniques, which can often be simpler and more efficient than traditional methods. This transformation also allows us to extend the range of integration and solve more complex problems.

3. How do you transform an integral of exponential to a contour?

The transformation involves substituting the variable of integration with a complex variable, z, and then changing the limits of integration to form a closed contour in the complex plane. This contour can then be evaluated using techniques such as Cauchy's integral formula or the residue theorem.

4. What are some applications of transforming integrals of exponential to contours?

Transforming integrals of exponential to contours is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex analysis is applicable. It can be used to solve problems involving oscillatory integrals, multidimensional integrals, and other difficult integral expressions.

5. Are there any limitations to transforming integrals of exponential to contours?

While transforming integrals of exponential to contours can be a powerful tool, it is not always applicable and may not always result in a simpler solution. It also requires a solid understanding of complex analysis techniques, so it may not be accessible to all mathematicians or scientists.