Transforming inner product to another basis

In summary, The inner product for the subspace L(1, t, t^2) in reference to the basis (1, t, t^2) can be represented by a symmetric 3x3 matrix, which can be calculated using the formula <a0+a1t+a2t^2,b0+b1t+b2t^2>=A^tGB, where A and B are column vectors and G is a 3x3 symmetric matrix.
Kruger

Homework Statement

Given the Vectorspace V of the real polynoms and the sub space L(1, t, t^2). On V there's a inner product defined as follows:

<u(t), w(t)> = integral(u(t)*w(t), dt, -3, 3)

I have to find the inner product of the subspace in reference of the basis (1, t, t^2).

Homework Equations

The only thing I know is that every innerproduct can be represented by a symmetric matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

Give me some hints, ... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The the inner product you have listed is independent of the basis. Perhaps you're expected to write out both versions as matrices?

p.s. If you know how, Latex makes things easier to read:
[tex]<v(t),u(t)>=\int_{-3}^{3}v(t)*u(t) dt[/tex]

Sorry, I cannot use this Latex editor.

But you're right, I have to write out the inner product (in reference ot the basis I wrote down) in the matrix version.

well write iT as:
<a0+a1t+a2t^2,b0+b1t+b2t^2>=A^tGB
where A=(a0,a1,2)^t B=(b0,b1,b2)^t
now you say you know how G is, then you know how to calculate it.
btw, G is a 3x3 symmetric matrix.

Ok, this seems sensible. I try to calculate G. ...

What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is often used to measure the angle between two vectors or the length of a vector.

Why would one want to transform an inner product to another basis?

Transforming an inner product to another basis can be useful for simplifying calculations or solving problems in a different coordinate system. It can also help to reveal certain properties or relationships between vectors that may not be apparent in the original basis.

What is the process for transforming an inner product to another basis?

The process for transforming an inner product to another basis involves finding the transformation matrix that converts the original basis vectors to the new basis vectors. This matrix can then be used to transform the inner product by multiplying it with the original inner product.

What are some common applications of transforming inner product to another basis?

Transforming inner product to another basis is commonly used in linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It can also be applied in computer graphics to rotate, scale, and translate objects in 3D space.

What are some challenges that may arise when transforming inner product to another basis?

Some challenges that may arise when transforming inner product to another basis include finding the correct transformation matrix, dealing with non-orthogonal bases, and maintaining the properties of the original inner product in the new basis.