Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforms to acheive linearity

1. Apr 12, 2004 #1
    I was reviewing some statitics and got a little confused with transformations to acheive linearity in bivariate data. The book is really vague and rather than trying to figure it out, I figure someone here will be able to help. I'm not so sure as to what transformations are best applied to which type of relationships and how to apply the transformations. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2004 #2
    No one wants to help? The book lists the square root transformation and the reciprocal transformation and the square transformation but does not say when they are used. For example, it says that a square root transformation is used when the spread of observations increases with the mean...what is that supposed to mean?
  4. Apr 15, 2004 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, help me understand a little better.

Looking through the indices of all 3 of my stats books, I find nothing by those names. Can you please type out those transformations, so that I can correlate them to the ones in my books?

It means that you use that particular transformation when the standard deviation is an increasing function of the mean.
  5. Apr 17, 2004 #4
    I don't really understand what you mean by that. I don't understand how the standard deviation can be a function of the mean in a single data set.
  6. Apr 17, 2004 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just trying to go by what you said. The spread in the data is parametrized by the standard deviation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?