Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistors acting as resistors

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1
    From what I understand, transistors can be viewed as several things, one of which is a resistor.

So how much resistance is a transistor turned on generally equivalent to?

And what is normally considered a large or small resistance? I know voltmeters have a large internal resistance in the order of megaohms. And I believe transistors are in the order of kilos, so would transistors acting as resistors be considered as having a low resistance?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2
    Some bipolar transistors, when turned fully on, will have a voltage drop across the collector and emitter of approximately 0.3 volts (silicon based).

For MOSFET's, when turned fully on, there is a on-resistance in the order of milliohms. I would suggest looking at the datasheet for the transistor using.

If you are using the small-signal model of a transistor then you will be able to describe it as resistors and controlled current/voltage sources.

4. Mar 8, 2013 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Certain MOSFETS are used a voltage-controlled variable resistors. Google "Siliconix VCR"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook