Transition to EE master from physics degree

In summary, the main difference between a physics degree and an EE master's degree is the focus and application of knowledge. While a physics degree primarily focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature, an EE master's degree is more focused on the practical application of those laws in the design and development of electronic systems. It is possible to pursue an EE master's degree with a physics degree, but additional courses may be required to bridge any knowledge gaps. A physics degree can be helpful in an EE master's program, as many concepts and principles are applicable in both fields. An EE master's degree can lead to various career opportunities in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy. To prepare for the transition, it is recommended to take courses in
twlin93
Hello,

Since I have no time to take ee classes, I plan to self study it.

What are the suitable books I can refer to.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical engineering encompasses many fields - for example you can obtain an MS/EE in optics and lasers, or in power distribution systems, micro-fabrication, integrated circuit design, control theory, etc.

So what are your interests? This will determine the books - but the usual course of study includes practical labs and projects.

Optics/ laser, quantum electronics, solid state, mircofabrication/ nanotech

I'm keeping my option wide.

Thank you

1. What is the main difference between a physics degree and an EE master's degree?

The main difference between a physics degree and an EE master's degree is the focus and application of knowledge. While a physics degree primarily focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature, an EE master's degree is more focused on the practical application of those laws in the design and development of electronic systems.

2. Can I pursue an EE master's degree with a physics degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an EE master's degree with a physics degree. However, you may need to take some additional courses to bridge any knowledge gaps and ensure you have the necessary background in electrical engineering.

3. Will my physics degree be helpful in an EE master's program?

Yes, your physics degree will be helpful in an EE master's program. Many concepts and principles in physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, are also applicable in electrical engineering. Your physics background may also give you a unique perspective and problem-solving skills in the field of EE.

4. What career opportunities are available with an EE master's degree?

An EE master's degree can open up a variety of career opportunities in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, power systems, and renewable energy. You may also pursue careers in research and development, design, and management roles.

5. How can I prepare for the transition from a physics degree to an EE master's program?

To prepare for the transition, it is recommended to take courses in circuits, electronics, and programming. You may also find it helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in the field of electrical engineering. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the basic principles and terminology of EE can also help ease the transition.