Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translucent Blackboards

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    Hey guys, I have been watching some old numbers episodes and I saw they have this really cool translucent blackboard. Anyone know where I can buy one of those?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2
    I've seen some glass ones online. But even those are $1000+ for a full size.
  4. Aug 17, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're probably just a large pane of glass or plexiglass (before going with plexiglass, I'd make sure that's appropriate for the solvents found in dry erase markers, which is what I assume you plan to use with it, though "wet erase" transparency markers would probably work equally well on a surface like that).
  5. Aug 17, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the replies. $1000 is a bit much for my pocket. Guess I will have to stick with the regular stuff.
  6. Aug 17, 2008 #5
    Gotta love Numb3rs...

You can look for some plexiglass on craigslist and make your own.

It won't be as pretty as the 1000 dollar boards, but the functionality will be the same.

I'm thinking about making one myself, just waiting for the right stuff to come up on craigslist. The biggest problem is finding a piece that will fit in my car.

I know when I first saw the show, I thought, "I gotta get some chalkboards!"
  7. Aug 17, 2008 #6
    You can also pick up sheets of acrylic (aka plexiglass) at Home Depot/Lowe's, but I don't know how much it would cost.
  8. Aug 17, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Aug 17, 2008 #8
    I went online and looked, that stuff is expensive.

I found a 4'x8'x1/8" sheet for 50 dollars on craigslist.
  10. Aug 17, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At 1/8" it will acrylic not have the flexural rigidity to support 4' X 8' dimensions. That will need an additional frame made of something stronger.
  11. Aug 17, 2008 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Come to think of it, for any given surface area, glass is going to be way cheaper than acrylic, for the same strength.

For instance, from the same site, 50" X 20" X 1/4" glass sheet is $125.
  12. Aug 17, 2008 #11
    http://www.acrylic.co.uk/ doesn't look to bad (certainly relatively cheap, although very little is available at large sizes). I'm quite interested in the 0.9x2 m sheet though.

13. Aug 17, 2008 #12
    Is there something wrong with pen and paper?
  14. Aug 17, 2008 #13
    It's not as cool?

If I'm working on a problem and I'm having trouble with, it can help me to write it out on a board so that it is more isolated, and allows me to stand back and look at it.

Definitely not necessary, but can be nice to have around.
  15. Aug 17, 2008 #14
    yeah okay.....
  16. Aug 17, 2008 #15
  17. Aug 17, 2008 #16
    Seems like a huge waste of money to me if it costs more than $50 bucks.
  18. Aug 18, 2008 #17
    Whiteboards are worth every penny. I think its similar to having 2 or 3 monitors at your computer. It sounds silly and wasteful at first, but after you use it for a while and get used to using the extra space, you would never go back.
  19. Aug 18, 2008 #18
    Ok...I have decided to do the DIY thing and get some glass and see what I can conjure up. Now on to the next problem : Finding the stationary. I am assuming I can pick these up from a standard stationary outlet. Hopefully one doesn't have to have them specially ordered.
  20. Aug 18, 2008 #19
    You mean dry erase markers? You can get them at any office supply store.
  21. Aug 18, 2008 #20
    Save some money and just use your window. It's works the same and will look sweet from the streets :biggrin: and it is way cheaper, becasue I can only hope everyone has a window or a few to use. :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?