1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission line

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    A 50 ohm transmission line is terminated with 60 ohm and 30 ohm resistors in parallel. The voltage at the input to the line is V(t) = 100 cos (5X10 ^ 9 t) and the line is 3/8 th of a wavelength long. What average power is delivered to each load resistor ?

My ans is getting 81.6 but actual ans given is 69 . I simply used the formula P = (V^2) (1-L^2) / 2 Z
    where L = reflection coefficient
    Z = characteristic impedance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2
    If I understand this:
    The terminating resistance is 1/((1/60)+(1/30)) = 20 ohms
    The RMS voltage will be 100 * sqrt(2) = 70.71 volts
    The length of the transmission line doesn't make a difference because we have a voltage source at one end.

So:
    The RMS voltage at the resistor end will be 70.71 * 2(20)/(20+50) = 70.71 * (4/7) = 40.41 V
    So the power that the resistors are dissipating would be V*V/r = 40.41*40.41/20 = 81.63 watts

Well, that's your answer.

I think the bad assumption is about the way the input voltage source is connected to the transmission line. It would normally be connected through a 50 ohm resistor. Once you put that 50 ohm resistor in, then you will need to take into consideration the effects of the 3/8 wavelength.

4. Mar 7, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. Get the correct formula for the load voltage E2 as a function of source voltage E1, line chas. impedance Z0, load impedance Z2, and length of line expresed as a fraction of wavelength.

2. Then, power to the two load resistors is P = |E2|2/R
    where R = 30 ohms and 60 ohms.

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Uh-uh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted