Transportation engineers: help on windrose & mass diagrams and pavement

In summary, Windrose provides a diagram for runway orientation. Free-Haul Distance and Limit of Economic Haul are defined, and cyclovenom provided a mass diagram for his highway class.
mrmotobiker
General Questions:

How do you show Free-Haul Distance, Limit of Economic Haul, and Volumes of Waste and Borrow on a mass diagram? I don't have one in particular to ask because I'm pretty much lost in general with this topic.

Windrose:

Another general question, how do you determine which route is best for a runway? It seems as if it is guess and check until you have the smallest value possible for the road you create. Do you determine the thickness of the road with the chart from AASHTO?

Pavements:

Lastly, I am lost on how to read/create the nomograph for flexible pavements. Here is an example: http://www.iowasudas.org/documents/5F-2-06.pdf . I remember my professor did an example of this by creating a chart from this by given only a few initial conditions. I'm not too sure if he redrew this onto the board horribly, or if there is a new graph for every specific condition. Could someone please let me know?
edit: looks like i just figured this one out, it looks like the problem typically states W18, PSI, etc. and you could use this chart to figure out the structural number.

Sorry for all general questions, but I am lost in my class. This class is the least science related, but it is the one I am having the most difficult time in because I do not understand the teacher. I tried to go see him, but the only advice is "read the book" where it doesn't have much explanation.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mrmotobiker,

I'm a fellow civil engineering student. Could you please offer the definitions for Free-Haul Distance and Limit of Economic Haul?, so i can help out.

Also what do you refer by windrose? is this the central axis of a runway?

Btw, i have a mass diagram i made in excel for my highway class, maybe you could use it?

thanks cyclovenom, i kinda figured out the FHD and LEH already; who knew it would be that simple. i got a 85 on my exam btw =)

windrose is just the diagram we used for runway orientation.

thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

1. What is a windrose diagram?

A windrose diagram is a graphical representation of the wind patterns at a specific location. It shows the frequency and direction of wind flow, typically over a period of time.

2. How do transportation engineers use windrose diagrams?

Transportation engineers use windrose diagrams to understand the potential impact of wind on transportation infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, and airports. This information is crucial in designing and constructing safe and efficient transportation systems.

3. What is a mass diagram in transportation engineering?

A mass diagram is a graphical representation of the earthwork quantities involved in a transportation project. It shows the relationship between the cumulative volume of earthwork and the distance along the project alignment.

4. Why are mass diagrams important in transportation engineering?

Mass diagrams are important in transportation engineering because they provide a clear visualization of the earthwork quantities involved in a project. This helps engineers make informed decisions about the best way to construct the project, minimizing costs and potential environmental impacts.

5. What is the purpose of a pavement design in transportation engineering?

The purpose of a pavement design in transportation engineering is to create a durable, safe, and cost-effective surface for vehicles to travel on. This involves considering factors such as traffic volume, climate, and soil conditions to determine the appropriate pavement materials and thickness to use.