Transposition as part of a laplace transform

In summary, the speaker is discussing their coursework assignment on Laplace transforms and is struggling to understand the process of transposition. They have provided an example given by the author and are asking if there is a specific rule for transposition that they are not aware of. They also express a desire to understand the reasoning behind the author's method instead of blindly following it. The expert explains that when using partial fractions, the denominator should have factors like ##s^2## or ##(s+a)## and the given example can be rearranged to fit this form by factoring out the variable ##\tau##. The expert also mentions that questions about Laplace transforms should be posted in a different section.
Trespaser5
I am doing a laplace transform as part of a coursework assignment. I have some example transpositions that are relevant to the question I am answering but I can't see how the author has got from one arrangement to the next.

2. Homework Equations

He has given

1/(s^2(τs+1)) = 1/(τs^2(s+1/τ))

Is there a rule of transposition I don't know about ? How has he created two instances of τ and made 1/τ ? I know I could follow it blindly but I'd really like to know how he got there.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Trespaser5 said:
I am doing a laplace transform as part of a coursework assignment. I have some example transpositions that are relevant to the question I am answering but I can't see how the author has got from one arrangement to the next.

2. Homework Equations

He has given

1/(s^2(τs+1)) = 1/(τs^2(s+1/τ))

Is there a rule of transposition I don't know about ? How has he created two instances of τ and made 1/τ ? I know I could follow it blindly but I'd really like to know how he got there.

Thank you in advance

When you use partial fractions you are looking for factors like ##s^2## or ##(s+a)## in the denominator. Your denominator has ##\tau s + 1## as a factor. To get it into the ##s+a## form, you factor out the ##\tau## getting ##\tau(s+\frac 1 \tau)##. The ##\tau## out in front doesn't hurt anything and what is left is in the proper form to expand in partial fractions to find the inverse.

Questions about Laplace transforms should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalc section. I am moving this thread to that section.

1. What is transposition in the context of a Laplace transform?

Transposition in the context of a Laplace transform refers to the process of rearranging the terms in an equation to a more convenient form for solving. It involves moving all the terms containing the variable of interest to one side of the equation and all the other terms to the other side.

2. Why is transposition necessary in a Laplace transform?

Transposition is necessary in a Laplace transform because it allows us to solve for the variable of interest, usually denoted as 's', in an equation. This makes it easier to perform the integration and obtain the inverse Laplace transform.

3. What are the steps involved in transposition for a Laplace transform?

The steps for transposition in a Laplace transform are as follows: 1. Identify the variable of interest, usually denoted as 's'.2. Move all terms containing 's' to one side of the equation, using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.3. Move all other terms to the other side of the equation.4. Simplify the resulting equation, if possible.

4. Can transposition be applied to any equation in a Laplace transform?

Yes, transposition can be applied to any equation in a Laplace transform as long as it follows the rules of algebra. However, in some cases, it may not be possible to rearrange the terms to solve for the variable of interest, in which case other methods may need to be used.

5. How does transposition affect the final solution in a Laplace transform?

Transposition does not affect the final solution in a Laplace transform. It simply rearranges the terms in an equation to make it easier to solve. The resulting solution will be the same whether or not transposition is used.