1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transposition as part of a laplace transform

1. Jan 17, 2013 #1
    I am doing a laplace transform as part of a coursework assignment. I have some example transpositions that are relevant to the question I am answering but I can't see how the author has got from one arrangement to the next.

2. Relevant equations

He has given

1/(s^2(τs+1)) = 1/(τs^2(s+1/τ))

Is there a rule of transposition I don't know about ? How has he created two instances of τ and made 1/τ ? I know I could follow it blindly but I'd really like to know how he got there.

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you use partial fractions you are looking for factors like ##s^2## or ##(s+a)## in the denominator. Your denominator has ##\tau s + 1## as a factor. To get it into the ##s+a## form, you factor out the ##\tau## getting ##\tau(s+\frac 1 \tau)##. The ##\tau## out in front doesn't hurt anything and what is left is in the proper form to expand in partial fractions to find the inverse.

4. Jan 17, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Questions about Laplace transforms should be posted in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalc section. I am moving this thread to that section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook