How Do You Solve Transverse Oscillations with Newton's Second Law?

In summary, The problem 5.17 involves a system with two masses attached to a spring and fixed supports. The Newton's second Law (F=ma) is used to write out the equations for the two masses and solve the simultaneous second order ODEs. To determine if the system is periodic, the ratio of the two periods is taken and if there is an integer multiple between the two, then it is periodic. A visual representation of the system is also provided, with the left and right "fixed supports" and the two masses evenly spaced along the spring. The equilibrium state of the spring has a tension of T_0 and the oscillations are transverse, meaning the masses move up and down rather than side to side.
descendency

Homework Statement

http://books.google.com/books?id=uA...ts=4tThicDJOS&sig=d7POqmkxlKMhS72_Rv7oTpMko1o

Problem 5.17.

Homework Equations

Newton's second Law (F = ma)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can solve the problem, I just can't visualize the system. Would someone draw a picture for me?

The next step is to write out Newton's laws for the two masses (m * a = sum of forces) and solve the simultaneous second order ODEs.

To determine if it is periodic, I simply take the ratio of the two periods. If there is an integer multiple between the two, then it is period.

Physics news on Phys.org
descendency said:

Homework Statement

http://books.google.com/books?id=uA...ts=4tThicDJOS&sig=d7POqmkxlKMhS72_Rv7oTpMko1o

Problem 5.17.

Homework Equations

Newton's second Law (F = ma)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can solve the problem, I just can't visualize the system.

|----------m----------m----------|

The "|" symbold is the left "fixed support" then (a third of the way along the spring) there is a mass then (another third of the way along the spring) there is another mass then (another third of the way) there is the right "fixed support".

The tension in the spring in the equilibrium state (as drawn) in [itex]T_0[/itex].

"Transverse" oscillations means the masses go "up and down" not "side to side".

1. What are transverse oscillations?

Transverse oscillations are a type of wave motion in which the particles or elements of a medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This is in contrast to longitudinal oscillations, where the particles vibrate parallel to the wave's direction.

2. What causes transverse oscillations?

Transverse oscillations can be caused by a variety of factors, including mechanical disturbances, electromagnetic forces, or thermal energy. In some cases, transverse oscillations can also arise as a result of an external source, such as an applied force or sound wave.

3. What are some examples of transverse oscillations?

Transverse oscillations can be observed in a wide range of natural and man-made systems. Common examples include waves on a string, vibrations in musical instruments, and seismic waves in the Earth's crust. Transverse oscillations can also be seen in the movement of pendulums, the motion of a diving board, and the oscillations of an oscillating fan.

4. How are transverse oscillations measured and studied?

Transverse oscillations can be measured and studied using a variety of techniques, including sensors, cameras, and mathematical models. For example, accelerometers can be used to measure the amplitude and frequency of transverse vibrations in a system. High-speed cameras can capture the motion of particles in a medium during transverse oscillations. Mathematical models, such as wave equations, can also be used to describe and predict the behavior of transverse oscillations.

5. What are the applications of transverse oscillations?

Transverse oscillations have numerous applications in science and technology. In addition to helping us understand the behavior of waves, transverse oscillations are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, medicine, and telecommunications. Some common applications include using transverse waves for non-destructive testing of materials, using ultrasound for medical imaging, and using electromagnetic waves for communication and data transmission.