1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse Oscillations

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem 5.17.

2. Relevant equations
    Newton's second Law (F = ma)

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I can solve the problem, I just can't visualize the system. Would someone draw a picture for me?

The next step is to write out newton's laws for the two masses (m * a = sum of forces) and solve the simultaneous second order ODEs.

To determine if it is periodic, I simply take the ratio of the two periods. If there is an integer multiple between the two, then it is period.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

The "|" symbold is the left "fixed support" then (a third of the way along the spring) there is a mass then (another third of the way along the spring) there is another mass then (another third of the way) there is the right "fixed support".

The tension in the spring in the equilibrium state (as drawn) in [itex]T_0[/itex].

"Transverse" oscillations means the masses go "up and down" not "side to side".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?