Transverse wave through a wire, and tension.

In summary, the conversation discusses a transverse wave in a wire with a linear density of 2.35 g/m and the form y(x,t) = (1.4 cm)sin[(5.45 m-1)x−(6950 s-1)t]. The question of what the tension is arises, and the individual uses various formulas and equations to attempt to find the velocity and tension. Eventually, the correct equation for velocity is used and the issue is resolved with the confirmation that 6950/s is still omega.
jmm5872
A transverse wave in a wire with a linear density 2.35 g/m has the form y(x,t) = (1.4 cm)sin[(5.45 m-1)x−(6950 s-1)t].
What is the tension?

I took the A=.014m, k=5.45 /m, and [tex]\omega[/tex]=6950.

I used the formula for the max velocity = A[tex]\omega[/tex]
v=(.014)(6950)=97.3

Then I used the formula for the speed of a wave on a string v=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{F}{M/L}}[/tex].
97.3=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{F}{.00235}}[/tex]

And I got F=22.24813

This was not the correct answer. I would appreciate any advice.

I attempted to find the velocity of the pulse : (0.943s)(3.29m)(8)=24.81976

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using this equation for velocity:

v=[tex]\omega[/tex]/k

Am I right in assuming that 6950 is omega? The problem says 6950 /s, not radians/s. Is this still omega?

Yes, that is still omega.

That worked, thank you very much.

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave that travels perpendicular to the direction of its energy or force. This means that the particles of the medium through which the wave is traveling move up and down or side to side as the wave passes through them.

2. How does a transverse wave travel through a wire?

A transverse wave can travel through a wire by causing the particles of the wire to vibrate perpendicularly to the direction of the wave. This vibration is transmitted through the wire from one particle to the next, allowing the wave to propagate through the wire.

3. What role does tension play in a transverse wave through a wire?

Tension is an important factor in the propagation of a transverse wave through a wire. It is the force that pulls the wire taut and allows it to transmit the wave energy from one end to the other. Without tension, the wire would be too loose for the wave to travel through efficiently.

4. How does the tension affect the speed of a transverse wave through a wire?

The tension in a wire affects the speed of a transverse wave through it because it is directly related to the stiffness of the wire. A higher tension means a stiffer wire, which allows the wave to travel faster. This is because the particles of the wire are able to vibrate more quickly and efficiently when the wire is taut.

5. Can the tension in a wire affect the amplitude of a transverse wave?

Yes, the tension in a wire can affect the amplitude of a transverse wave. This is because the tension determines how much the particles of the wire can move when the wave passes through it. A higher tension means the particles can move more, resulting in a larger amplitude. Conversely, a lower tension will result in a smaller amplitude.