Travel Sound Wave: Determine Wavelength, Frequency, etc.

In summary, the given equation represents a traveling sound wave with a wavelength of 5.6 meters, a frequency of 84 hertz, an amplitude of 0.48 meters, and a velocity of 470.4 meters per second in the positive x direction. The maximum speed of the vibrating air is 2.688 meters per second. The equation can be rewritten in different forms, such as y(x,t)=0.48sin(5.6x-469.44t), which can help with determining the wavelength algebraically.
rrandall

Homework Statement

A traveling sound wave is represented by D(x,t)=0.48sin(5.6x+84t) with D in meter and t in seconds. Determine wavelength, frequency, amplitude, velocity (including direction) and the maximum speed of the vibrating air.

Homework Equations

Okay, I'm quite confused about this equation, more specifically the fact that it's a function with two variables in it. So I'm not quite sure what to do with it, and whether or not I treat this equation normally. I know how to get the velocity and the max speed normally but I am not quite sure what to do in this specific case. Also I'm not quite sure how to determine the wavelength algebraically.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you a crash course in wave motion.

If you had a pulse with some arbitrary shape which is traveling to the right with speed v, the actual equation of the pulse will change with time.

If it has form y=f(x) at t=0, then it will have moved to the right a distance vt by time t.
The new position will be: ##y(x,t)=f(x-vt)## (you can try this out with different functions f(x) to get comfortable with this before you deal with sine waves.)

For a sine wave, ##y(x,0)=f(x)=A\sin(kx)## at t=0, at some later time t, it will be given by $$y(x,t)=A\sin(k(x-vt))$$Just to relate what those letters all mean:
A is the amplitude
v is the wave speed
k is the "wave number"
the angular frequency is ##\omega = kv##
the wavelength is ##\lambda = 2\pi/k##

So you can rewrite the equation in different terms:
$$y(x,t)=A\sin(kx-\omega t) =A\sin(kx-2\pi f t)=A\sin2\pi(\frac{x}{\lambda} - \frac{t}{T})$$... which should give you some forms you are used to.

From here you can derive the relation ##v=f\lambda##

Related to Travel Sound Wave: Determine Wavelength, Frequency, etc.

1. What is a travel sound wave?

A travel sound wave refers to a type of sound wave that travels through a medium, such as air or water, in order to transmit sound. It is also known as a mechanical wave, as it requires a medium to travel through.

2. How do you determine the wavelength of a travel sound wave?

The wavelength of a travel sound wave can be determined by measuring the distance between two consecutive points of the wave that are in phase, or have the same point in their cycle. This distance is known as the wavelength and is typically measured in meters.

3. What is the frequency of a travel sound wave?

The frequency of a travel sound wave refers to the number of complete cycles or vibrations that occur in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is directly related to the pitch of the sound wave. Higher frequencies correspond to higher pitches and lower frequencies correspond to lower pitches.

4. How can you measure the speed of a travel sound wave?

The speed of a travel sound wave can be measured by dividing the wavelength by the period of the wave. The period is the amount of time it takes for one complete cycle or vibration to occur. The speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second, but can vary depending on factors such as temperature and humidity.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding travel sound waves?

Understanding travel sound waves can have many real-world applications, such as in the fields of acoustics and audio engineering, where it is important to accurately measure and manipulate sound waves. It is also crucial in fields such as medicine, where ultrasound technology uses sound waves to create images of internal body structures. Additionally, understanding travel sound waves can help in the design and development of musical instruments, as well as in the study of natural phenomena such as earthquakes and ocean waves.