Calculating Power for a Trebuchet: Solving for Projectile Distance and Angle

• Thread starter total_gregoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trebuchet
In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with finding the equations to calculate the power needed for a trebuchet to throw a 20 gram ball 2 meters at 20 and 45 degree angles. The student is unsure where to find these equations and is seeking guidance on how to solve the problem.
total_gregoir

Homework Statement

This question isn't worth any marks for my school year, I am helping build a small classroom Trebuchet and I don't know where to look for the equations as i haven't really done any physics yet at school.

I need to workout the power needed to throw a 20 gram ball 2 meters at a 20 and 45 degree angle, the answer needs to be in joules or Newton meters.

Homework Equations

any help to where i can find them would be really helpful

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't attempt the solution without the equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi total,
It doesn't really matter whether you're using a trebuchet or a cannon to throw an item a certain distance. Once the item has some initial velocity at some initial angle to the ground, and neglecting air resistance, the distance traveled will be the same regardless.

Do you know how to determine how far something will go given some initial velocity and initial angle?

As Q Goest said, you'll need to find what type of equations are used to determine the distance given the initial velocity, and initial angle. If you've had an algebra course you'll be able to work through the problem rather easily. Go as far as you can, then post about the point where you get stuck. Best of luck.

What is a trebuchet equation problem?

A trebuchet equation problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the distance, speed, or force of a trebuchet, which is a type of medieval siege weapon. It requires an understanding of projectile motion and the principles of torque and energy.

How do you calculate the distance of a trebuchet projectile?

To calculate the distance of a trebuchet projectile, you need to use the equation d = v2sin2θ/g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You also need to take into account any air resistance or friction that may affect the projectile's motion.

What factors affect the speed of a trebuchet projectile?

The speed of a trebuchet projectile is affected by several factors, including the length of the throwing arm, the weight of the projectile, the counterweight, and the angle of release. Other factors such as wind, air resistance, and friction may also have an impact on the speed of the projectile.

What is the principle of torque in a trebuchet?

The principle of torque states that an object will rotate or accelerate around an axis when a force is applied to it at a distance from the axis. In a trebuchet, the counterweight and the throwing arm create a torque that causes the projectile to be launched forward.

How can you use the trebuchet equation to optimize the distance of a trebuchet projectile?

To optimize the distance of a trebuchet projectile, you can adjust the launch angle, the weight of the projectile, and the counterweight. Using the trebuchet equation, you can calculate the ideal combination of these factors to achieve the desired distance. You can also make adjustments based on environmental factors such as wind and air resistance to further optimize the distance.