1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trebuchet Equation Problem

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This question isnt worth any marks for my school year, im helping build a small classroom Trebuchet and I dont know where to look for the equations as i havent really done any physics yet at school.

I need to workout the power needed to throw a 20 gram ball 2 meters at a 20 and 45 degree angle, the answer needs to be in joules or newton meters.

2. Relevant equations

any help to where i can find them would be really helpful

3. The attempt at a solution

I cant attempt the solution without the equations
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi total,
    It doesn't really matter whether you're using a trebuchet or a cannon to throw an item a certain distance. Once the item has some initial velocity at some initial angle to the ground, and neglecting air resistance, the distance traveled will be the same regardless.

Do you know how to determine how far something will go given some initial velocity and initial angle?
  4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    As Q Goest said, you'll need to find what type of equations are used to determine the distance given the initial velocity, and initial angle. If you've had an algebra course you'll be able to work through the problem rather easily. Go as far as you can, then post about the point where you get stuck. Best of luck.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?