1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle Inequality Proof

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the triangle inequality to prove that [itex] \left| s_n - s \right| < 1 \implies \left| s_n \right| < \left| s \right| +1[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    The triangle inequality states that [itex]\left| a-b \right| \leq \left| a-c \right| + \left| c-b \right|[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have [itex] \left| s_n - s \right| < 1 \implies -1 < s_n - s < 1 \implies s_n < s + 1[/itex]. But now I don't see how I can use the triangle inequality to move forward. Hints greatly appreciated, no spoilers please!

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2
    Well, if ##s_n## is less than ##s+1##, what does that imply about ##|s_n|##?

Edit: The utter wrongness of my previous post should be disregarded while I sit in the corner of shame. One can also consider the case where c = 0 in the given statement of the triangle inequality too get your answer.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. May 15, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you have the equivalent inequality ##|a+b|\le |a|+|b|## to work with? That is what is usually called the triangle inequality. Anyway, here's my hint: ##|a| = |(a-b)+b|##.

5. May 15, 2013 #4
    I found that in general, [itex] a < b + 1 \nRightarrow \left| a \right| < \left| b \right| + 1[/itex]. Setting [itex] c = 0 [/itex] would give me [itex] \left|{s_n-s}\right| < \left|{s_n}\right| + \left|{s}\right|[/itex]. I feel like what I really need to show is [itex] \left|{s}\right| - \left|{s_n}\right| \leq \left|{s_n-s}\right|[/itex].

6. May 16, 2013 #5
    Write down the triangle inequality. You need a minus sign, which can be obtained by moving something to the other side of the inequality.

7. May 17, 2013 #6
    As far as I can figure, the way to prove it is this: ## \left|{a+b}\right| \leq \left|{a}\right| + \left|{b}\right| \implies \left|{a}\right| \geq \left|{a+b}\right| - \left|{b}\right| \implies \left|{\left({a+b}\right)-b}\right| \geq \left|{a+b}\right| - \left|{b}\right|
    \implies \left|{x-y}\right| \geq \left|{x}\right| - \left|{y}\right| ## as long as ##y = b## and ##x = b + a## but since for any ##b## any other number can be expressed as ##b+a## for some ##a##, this holds for all ##x,y##.

Is there a flaw? Is there a more elegant way to show this?

8. May 17, 2013 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using my hint:##|a| = |(a-b)+b|\le |a-b| + |b|\implies |a|-|b|\le |a-b|##. That's it. You can get absolute values on the left if you switch the ##a## and ##b## so you have ##|b|-|a|\le |a-b|##. Together those give ##|\,|a|-|b|\,|\le |a-b|##. That is usually called the reverse triangle inequality.

9. May 17, 2013 #8
    Thank you, that's much nicer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted