Triangle that has the hypo as √(u^2 +1)

• Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses using trigonometric substitution to solve an integral involving a triangle with a hypotenuse of √(u^2 + 1), adjacent side of 1, and opposite side of u. The integral is solved using the substitution u = tan(θ), and the final expression is simplified using the double angle identity for sine. The conversation also briefly mentions the importance of writing trig functions in terms of θ rather than 2θ.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

If I have a triangle that has the hypo as √(u^2 +1)
adj as 1 and oppo as u
I did an integral with trig sub. So I used

Homework Equations

u = tan(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

At the end of my integral I ended up with an expression (1/4)sin(2θ)
When I substitute back into the integral for theta. I will get (1/2)(u/(sqrt(u^2 +1))
right? How does back sub work if you have 2(theta)

Physics news on Phys.org
Use ##\sin 2\theta = 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta##. You need the trig functions in terms of ##\theta##, not ##2\theta##.

Always like this? With double angle?

Could you please use complete sentences? I'm not sure what you're asking.

Nevermind thx

What is the formula for finding the hypotenuse of a triangle with one side as √(u^2 +1)?

The formula is c = √(u^2 + 1), where c is the length of the hypotenuse, and u is the length of the other side.

How do I find the length of the other side of the triangle if I know the hypotenuse and one side is √(u^2 + 1)?

You can use the Pythagorean theorem, a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where a and b are the lengths of the other two sides, and c is the length of the hypotenuse. Rearrange the equation to a^2 = c^2 - b^2, then substitute the value of c (√(u^2 + 1)) and solve for a.

Can the hypotenuse of a triangle with one side as √(u^2 + 1) be a decimal or fraction?

Yes, the hypotenuse can be a decimal or fraction, as long as the other side (u) is a positive real number. The hypotenuse will always be longer than the other side (u).

What if the other side (u) is a negative number?

If u is a negative number, the triangle is not possible because a triangle's sides cannot have negative lengths. Therefore, the formula c = √(u^2 + 1) is not applicable in this case.

Can this formula be used for any type of triangle?

No, this formula is only applicable for right triangles, where one angle is a 90-degree angle. For other types of triangles, you will need to use different formulas or methods to find the hypotenuse.