How to Solve a Tricky Algebra Problem: Clock Gains and Time Differences

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, if a clock gains x minutes every hour and it starts out behind by y minutes, it will take h hours to catch up.
lionely

Homework Statement

A clock gains x min. every 24 hr. If it is y min. slow at present, in how many hours will it show the correct time?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I called the current time Tc so
I have:

Tc = Tc- y

I know x will get added to the above equation every 24 hours but I don't know how to connect them. So I get stuck.
I tried something like (Tc = Tc -y + x)/24 but I don't think this make sense.

Could someone give me a hint? Help is greatly appreciated.

(P.S. I know this is simple but do you guys ever buck up on a simple problem that you just can't seem to get out? or do I need to re-study algebra?)

Physics news on Phys.org
If it catches up x minutes every 24 hours, how many minutes does it catch up after h hours?

It would catch by hx\24 minutes every h hour

lionely said:
It would catch by hx\24 minutes every h hour
So how many hours h does it take to catch up y minutes?

hx/24y ?

lionely said:
hx/24y ?
##\frac{hx}{24}=y##

h=?

This is a rate x time = distance problem

Chet

Okay that's one part I don't get I didn't have (hx)/24 = y I had (hx)/(24y). I wondering about how to connect x to y , I mean what would make x = y . I'm still a bit confused about the reasoning behind the answer sorry.

lionely said:
Okay that's one part I don't get I didn't have (hx)/24 = y I had (hx)/(24y). I wondering about how to connect x to y , I mean what would make x = y . I'm still a bit confused about the reasoning behind the answer sorry.
If a clock gains 2 minutes every hour and it starts out behind by 10 minutes, how long does it take to catch up?

If a clock gains x/24 minutes every hour and it starts out behind by y minutes, how long does it take to catch up?

For the first question it would take 5 hours, but the second one eh I still can't see it. I did the first like so

if the time was actual time was 12 then the time shown would be 11:50 so after 1 hour(h1) the time would be 12:52 , then 1:54(h2) then 2:56(h3) then 3:58(h4) then 4:00(h5)
so yeah 5 hours.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see it now I am such an idiot. Thank you so much!

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that involves the use of symbols, letters or variables to represent numbers and quantities in equations and formulas.

2. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps us solve real-life problems and make predictions. It is also a fundamental building block for higher level math courses and many science and engineering fields.

3. What are some common algebraic operations?

Some common algebraic operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These operations can be used to manipulate and solve equations.

4. How can I improve my algebra skills?

To improve your algebra skills, it is important to practice regularly and to start with the basics. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources such as practice problems and instructional videos.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid in algebra include not simplifying expressions, not following the correct order of operations, and making careless errors. It is also important to check your work for accuracy and to understand the steps used to solve a problem.