Series Approximation for y with Derivative of Floor Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a series approximation to approximate y in the equation y=(1-(dx/dy)^2)^1/2 when dx/dy is not trigonometric and contains the derivative of a floor function. It also mentions solving for x in terms of y and transforming the equation into dx/dy = sqrt(1 - y^2) to integrate with respect to y. The use of the delta function and its relation to the derivative is also brought up, with the discussion of its existence and use in solving problems. The conversation concludes with a humorous exchange between a mathematician and physicist regarding the use and justification of mathematics in physics.
lewis198
I was wondering what series approximation I can use to approximate y:

y=(1-(dx/dy)^2)^1/2

when dx/dy is not trigonometric, and contains the derivative of a floor function

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,
the floor function is notoriously discontinuous. What do you mean by its derivative?

y has properties of sin fuction i guess we solve x in terms of y

x=1/2*(abs(y)(1-y^2)^0.5 +inverse sin(abs(y)))

you can also get it solved for y

Last edited:
okay well an approximation

what do you meant by that

You can transform that into dx/dy = sqrt(1 - y^2) and integrate wrt y to obtain

x = -.5 {y*srt(y^2 - 1) - ln ABS(y + sqrt(y^2 -1)} + a constant

give or take a + or - :biggrin:

which does not mean the solution of sadhu is not right too.

Did this d.e. emerge from any 'real' problem?

Dodo said:
Hi,
the floor function is notoriously discontinuous. What do you mean by its derivative?

how about [itex]\sum_n \delta(x-n)[/itex].

olgranpappy said:
how about [itex]\sum_n \delta(x-n)[/itex].

I don't exactly know what you mean by that :( But I doubt that's a derivative. Differentiability implies continuity. The floor function, being discontinuous at an infinite number of points, is not differentiable.

That uses the delta "function". It's not a function in the true sense, but a distribution or "generalized function". And, of course, the differentiation is in the sense of distributions. Distributions do not have to be continuous in order to be differentiable. (In fact, I am not sure that "continuous" is defined for distributions!)

Gib Z said:
I don't exactly know what you mean by that :( But I doubt that's a derivative.

[itex]\delta[/itex] is Dirac's delta function and the [itex]n[/itex] are positive integers. You can, of course, check for yourself that
[itex]\int_0^x dy \sum_n \delta(y-n)=Floor[y][/itex]

Differentiability implies continuity.

Lah dee dah, lah dee dah, I'm not worried about that...

The floor function, being discontinuous at an infinite number of points, is not differentiable.

But, if it's not differentiable then the derivative doesn't exist. So how did I just write the derivative down if it doesn't exist?... I'd rather not let the fact that something doesn't exist stop me from using it to solve a problem.

Mathematicians are so cute...

I was never stopping you from solving the problem. Just don't call it a "derivative". Call it something else. You didn't write down the derivative, you wrote down something that satisfies a nice equation in this same manner a derivative does for continuous functions. That doesn't mean it is a derivative.

Physicists are just sloppy. There is nothing in mathematics that stops the physics being done, but physicists are too lazy to justify their mathematics. Every working physicist I have asked admits that their sloppy mathematics leads them to errors, why not correct the problem?

nah.

olgranpappy said:
But, if it's not differentiable then the derivative doesn't exist. So how did I just write the derivative down if it doesn't exist?
It's simple: you didn't. :rolleyes:

oh, girls, stop being so silly.

What is series approximation for y with derivative of floor function?

Series approximation for y with derivative of floor function is a mathematical process used to estimate the value of a function using a series of simpler functions. In this case, the function involves the floor function, which rounds a number down to the nearest integer, and its derivative.

How does series approximation work?

In series approximation, the function is broken down into smaller, simpler functions that can be easily calculated. These simpler functions are then added together to approximate the original function. The more terms that are used in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What is the purpose of using series approximation for y with derivative of floor function?

The purpose of using series approximation for y with derivative of floor function is to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with. It can also be used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point, without having to calculate the function directly.

What are some applications of series approximation for y with derivative of floor function?

Series approximation for y with derivative of floor function is commonly used in calculus and other fields of mathematics to approximate values of functions that are difficult to calculate directly. It can also be used in engineering, physics, and other scientific disciplines to model real-world phenomena.

What are some limitations of series approximation for y with derivative of floor function?

Series approximation for y with derivative of floor function is limited by the number of terms used in the series. If too few terms are used, the approximation may be inaccurate. Additionally, this method may not work for functions with discontinuities or other complex features that cannot be easily represented by simpler functions.