Solution: Solving a Tricky Limit Problem

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Mfb's suggestion:try mfb's suggestion to get rid of the arctan. Then do another substitution so that the variable tends to 0 from above. That will make things clearer.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

lim x(pi-2arctan(x^(2/3)))
x->-∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to remove undefined form. Can someone give me a hint? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
l'Hopitals theorem?

micromass said:
l'Hopitals theorem?

I can't use that so can i do xpi-2xarctan(x^(2/3)) which will become:

xpi-[(2arctan(x^2/3)/x^(2/3)]*x(^5/3) , but even that still gives an undefined form.

mtayab1994 said:
I can't use that so can i do xpi-2xarctan(x^(2/3)) which will become:

xpi-[(2arctan(x^2/3)/x^(2/3)]*x(^5/3) , but even that still gives an undefined form.

Why can't you use it?

micromass said:
Why can't you use it?

Not aloud to use it. Our teacher says it's just used to check if your limit is correct. Plus we still haven't learned how to derive the arctan function.

Last edited:
Is there any other way on how to factor it so you can put t=arctan(x^(2/3)). My attempt still gave me -∞+∞ which is undefined.

Which properties of the arctan function are available?

t=arctan(x^(2/3))
This would allow to replace the x with some function of t. How does your new limit look like?

mfb said:
Which properties of the arctan function are available?

This would allow to replace the x with some function of t. How does your new limit look like?

Well i did something else here is what i did.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow-\infty}x\pi-\frac{arctan(\sqrt[3]{x^{2}})}{\sqrt[3]{x^{2}}}\cdot2\sqrt[3]{x^{5}}[/tex]

Well, those terms all diverge, so it does not look very useful.

mfb said:
Well, those terms all diverge, so it does not look very useful.

Yes that is what it looks like to me. Do you know what I can use?

Try mfb's suggestion to get rid of the arctan. Then do another substitution so that the variable tends to 0 from above. That will make things clearer.

1. What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is often used to analyze the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. What makes a limit problem tricky?

A limit problem can be considered tricky when it involves a function that is not continuous or has a discontinuity at the point being evaluated. It can also be tricky when the function is undefined at that point.

3. How do you solve a tricky limit problem?

To solve a tricky limit problem, you need to first determine if the function is continuous at the point being evaluated. If it is not, you may need to use algebraic manipulation or other mathematical techniques to simplify the function and evaluate the limit. You may also need to use specific limit theorems or rules to solve the problem.

4. Can a limit problem have more than one solution?

Yes, a limit problem can have multiple solutions depending on how the function behaves at the point being evaluated. It is important to check for possible discontinuities or undefined values that may affect the solution.

5. Why are limit problems important in science?

Limit problems are important in science because they allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena that involve continuous change. They are used in many areas of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to analyze and predict the behavior of systems.