1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky question involving masses, a pulley on incline with friction

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    tumblr_mj5vqtLuE31qe908uo1_500h.jpg
    M1=5.0kg
    μs1=0.30
    M2=?
    μs2=0.20

What does M2 need to be in order to move?
    The interesting thing with this question is if it does move, will it move up or down?

2. Relevant equations
    Fun=ma
    FfssFn

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought about this and if it's going to go up, that's one mass. If it goes down, that's another mass so will there be two masses?

I also though, if it gave the static friction for both, maybe I thought of finding force of static friction for M1:
    FfssFn
    Ffs=(0.30)(mgcos30°)
    Ffs=(0.30)(5.0x9.8xcos30°)
    Ffs=12.7N

After that, I think there will be a force of tension and a parallel force of gravity on M1 and if you add all these up with Ff, it must add up to 0...or not since it is a connected to a pulley that is being pulled (or not), it won't add up to 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2
    tumblr_mj5vqtLuE31qe908uo1_500h.jpg
    Here's a smaller picture. That was too big :P

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    Draw out two FBD for the boxes. One where the friction forces both point in +x and another where they point in -x. I don't get why the question asks if it will move up or down. You should get two masses, one the moves up and that moves down.

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4
    I found the force of static friction for them and just drew the FBD. So if it starts to move, wouldn't it be kinetic friction now?

6. Mar 4, 2013 #5
    Kinetic friction is always smaller than static friction so you don't need to worry about it.

7. Mar 4, 2013 #6
    So here I drew the FBD for both boxes and since I thought there would be two masses possible, I treated right as positive for case #1
    tumblr_mj5yngAM1F1qe908uo1_1280.jpg

Then I tried to work it out using Fun=ma but since it's in equilibrium, ƩF=0.
    So I plugged in all my given information to develop two equations for this:
    tumblr_mj5yurZbEx1qda1b7o1_500.jpg

And so I was left with one unknown, FT, so I isolated them and made them equal each other assuming they have the same magnitude. So here I made them equal each other and found the mass!
    tumblr_mj5yurZbEx1qda1b7o2_500.jpg

But since this is Case #1, so in conclusion the mass it needs to move upwards is 15.9kg?

8. Mar 4, 2013 #7
    I think my answer looks pretty huge for it to be right :P

9. Mar 4, 2013 #8
    You put your coefficients of friction in the wrong places. It looks like that was your only mistake though.

10. Mar 4, 2013 #9
    What do you mean? I substituted them in though because Ffs=μsFn

11. Mar 4, 2013 #10
    You substituted them into to the wrong equations. If you were to fix that you'll have an answer that is quite smaller.

12. Mar 5, 2013 #11
    Could you explain that in further detail? And is it true that the forces of tension will be the same for both sides of the pulley?

13. Mar 5, 2013 #12
    m2 has μs=0.2 and m1 has μs=0.3. You mixed them up though so that should be why your answer is wrong. Yes tensions will always be equal as long as the pulley is massless and frictionless.

14. Mar 5, 2013 #13
    I am getting 10.95kg but would that seem more reasonable?

15. Mar 5, 2013 #14
    Actually it looks like your us values were in the right place but you put the masses in the wrong places. Also for your FBD of box 2 you had friction going in the wrong direction.

16. Mar 5, 2013 #15
    So I did make changes to my mistakes with my coefficients of static friction and this is how I got 10.95kg.
    tumblr_mj7nyivutf1qe908uo1_1280.jpg

So on my current one, the directions of my Force of Static Friction is in the wrong direction?

17. Mar 5, 2013 #16
    So for box 2 I had a mistake there for the Ffs, so it should be going towards right (same direction as the Fg||)?

18. Mar 5, 2013 #17
    Oh I get it now!!! I started again on a fresh sheet of paper and tried again with what I came up and fixed my mistakes. Can't believe I mixed up the two boxes because box 2 was on the left and box 1 on the right so I ended up mixing them both up. Now, with everything fixed, I managed to get 1.24kg which seems to make more sense since box 1 is 5.0kg.

tumblr_mj7pslblBi1qe908uo1_1280.jpg

And I also fixed the direction of force of friction for box 2 like you said and yeah, I got 1.24kg.

19. Mar 5, 2013 #18
    Also, a little question, why would the force of friction for box 2 go the other way (like you said)?

I got 1.57kg if I made the friction the same, 1.24kg when I changed the friction for box 2, like you said.

So which one would make more sense?

20. Mar 5, 2013 #19
    Friction is always opposite the motion

21. Mar 5, 2013 #20
    what if it's static friction where it is equilibrium and there's a string attached to it on an incline, where will the force of static friction point towards to now? for this instance, like the problem here...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted