What Is g'(2) for the Function G = (1/f^-1)?

In summary, in order to find the derivative of G, we use the chain rule to differentiate the inside function and then simplify. From there, we can plug in the given values to find the derivative at a specific point.
Geologist180

Homework Statement

1. Suppose that f has an inverse and f(-4)=2, f '(-4)=2/5. If G= (1/f-1) what is g '(2) ?
If it helps the answer is (-5/32)

Homework Equations

[/B]
f-1'(b)=1/(f')(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not really sure how to start this problem. I am familiar with how to use the equation above to plug solve for "c" and then plug c into the derivative, so I assume it has something to do with that but I can't find any helpful resources on the web showing me how to do this specific type of problem.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Geologist180 said:

Homework Statement

1. Suppose that f has an inverse and f(-4)=2, f '(-4)=2/5. If G= (1/f-1) what is g '(2) ?
I suppose you mean G'(2)

If it helps the answer is (-5/32)

Homework Equations

[/B]
f-1'(b)=1/(f')(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not really sure how to start this problem. I am familiar with how to use the equation above to plug solve for "c" and then plug c into the derivative, so I assume it has something to do with that but I can't find any helpful resources on the web showing me how to do this specific type of problem.[/B]

Start by showing us the calculation for G' using the chain rule.

LCKurtz said:
I suppose you mean G'(2)
Start by showing us the calculation for G' using the chain rule.

I believe the derivative of G would be -1/(f-1) 2
Is this correct?

No. You haven't used the chain rule on the definition of G.

Im confused how I am supposed to use the chain rule in the context of this question.
When I think about the chain rule, I think about more complicated functions and taking the derivative of the functions with respect to the outside of the brackets multiplied by the derivative of the inside of the brackets. I am having trouble seeing how to apply that here.

Geologist180 said:
Im confused how I am supposed to use the chain rule in the context of this question.
When I think about the chain rule, I think about more complicated functions and taking the derivative of the functions with respect to the outside of the brackets multiplied by the derivative of the inside of the brackets. I am having trouble seeing how to apply that here.
Isn't that exactly what you have:
$$
G(\cdot)=(f^{-1}(\cdot))^{-1}$$where you can replace the dot with whatever variable you want to call it, maybe ##y## if you call the original equation ##y=f(x)##. What is the derivative of the "inside"?

I know it is a bit confusing with one of the ##-1##'s being a negative exponent and the other an inverse function.

LCKurtz said:
Isn't that exactly what you have:
$$
G(\cdot)=(f^{-1}(\cdot))^{-1}$$where you can replace the dot with whatever variable you want to call it, maybe ##y## if you call the original equation ##y=f(x)##. What is the derivative of the "inside"?

I know it is a bit confusing with one of the ##-1##'s being a negative exponent and the other an inverse function.

I believe it would be: (substituted a star for the dot)

( - (f-1(*))-2) (d/dx (f-1(*)))

Am I following you correctly in this?
Thank you for your hep by the way

Geologist180 said:
I believe it would be: (substituted a star for the dot)

( - (f-1(*))-2) (d/dx (f-1(*)))

Am I following you correctly in this?
Thank you for your hep by the way
With the * that would be written ( - (f-1(*))-2) (d/d* (f-1(*))). Let's use ##y## and write it$$
G'(y)=-(f^{-1}(y))^{-2}\frac d {dy} f^{-1}(y)$$Now, remember your question is asking for ##G'(2)##. If you put that in you have$$
G'(2) =-(f^{-1}(2))^{-2}\frac d {dy} f^{-1}(2)$$So now you have to ask yourself: do I know ##f^{-1}(2)##? Do I know the derivative of the inverse function at ##2##? What do I know about derivatives of inverses versus derivatives of the original function?

1. What are inverse functions?

Inverse functions are two functions that perform opposite operations. For example, if f(x) adds 2 to a number, its inverse function f^-1(x) would subtract 2 from the number to get back to the original input.

2. Why are inverse functions important?

Inverse functions are important because they allow us to "undo" a function and retrieve the original input. They are also useful in solving equations and understanding the relationship between two functions.

3. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, first rearrange the function to solve for "x". This will give you an equation in terms of "x" and "y". Then, swap "x" and "y" in the equation and solve for "y". This will give you the inverse function f^-1(x).

4. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must be a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has only one corresponding output. If a function has multiple outputs for a single input, it does not have an inverse.

5. What is the difference between the notation f^-1(x) and f(x)^-1?

The notation f^-1(x) refers to the inverse function of f(x), while f(x)^-1 is the reciprocal of the function f(x). These are two different operations and should not be confused with each other.