Quadratic equation to find the roots of cos theta

In summary: I think I get it now, maybe.In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for the roots of cos theta between 3pi/2 and 5pi, but is having trouble because of the power reduction formula. He eventually solves it using quadratic formula and generalizes the term to 1/3(6npi +/- pi) for n = 1, 2.
Gyro

Homework Statement

Solve the equation [tex] 2cos^2\theta + 5cos\theta - 3 = 0\ for\ \frac{3\pi}{2}<\theta<5\pi [/tex]

Homework Equations

quadratic equation,
power reduction formula:
[tex] cos^2\theta = \frac {1+cos2\theta}{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried using the quadratic equation to find the roots of cos theta and got:
[tex] cos\theta = 1/2, \theta = \pi /3 [/tex] and an inadmissible root.
Theta has to be between 3pi/2 and 5pi, and since I don't know the period, I wasn't sure how to express the roots generally in terms of n.
So then I tried the power reduction formula for cos^2 theta and got [tex] cos2\theta +5cos\theta = 2 [/tex]
but I don't know where to go from there. Can anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did it the right way the first time, the period of cos is always 2pi so I don't understand what's troubling you.

I guess what's troubling me is the power reduction formula gave me a sum of two cos functions and I wasn't sure what their combined frequency is, or period. If there is a term of cos2theta, shouldn't the period be 1/2, since the frequency is doubled? And if not, and the period is always 2pi, how do I express the recurring roots between the specified interval?
Thanks again for your help.

Wait, are you saying that because theta = pi/3, and the period is 2pi, then the following roots in the specified interval are 7pi/3 and 13pi/3? Which means
[tex] \theta = \frac {2n\pi + \pi} {3} for\ n = 3 ,\ 6? [/tex]
I'm not the best at formalizing my math. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I think I'm missing some roots in the interval because I have a composite of a cos theta and a cos 2theta. So should my answer be
[tex] \theta = \frac {2n\pi + \pi}{3}\ for\ n = 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, \ and\ 8 [/tex]

Somebody please help. I'm having trouble seeing how the frequency of this equation can be ascertained so I can know where the roots are. I used Wolfram Alpha to plot the equation, and I see the roots are 5pi/3, 7pi/3, 11pi/3, and 13pi/3, but I don't see how to get that.
Some one please help.

Last edited:
No, don't use the double angle [itex]\cos2\theta[/itex] to find the answer, use the quadratic in [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] and do what you did earlier, you found [itex]\cos\theta=1/2[/itex] so now just find all the values of [itex]\theta[/itex] that satisfy this equation in the domain specified.

Attached is the Wolfram plot

Attachments

• MSP48819daf25iha7fc4i300003bab5249a2890fe3.gif
    MSP48819daf25iha7fc4i300003bab5249a2890fe3.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 496
Mentallic said:
No, don't use the double angle [itex]\cos2\theta[/itex] to find the answer, use the quadratic in [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] and do what you did earlier, you found [itex]\cos\theta=1/2[/itex] so now just find all the values of [itex]\theta[/itex] that satisfy this equation in the domain specified.

But how do I find the values that count? Wolphram also says
[tex] \theta = \frac {1}{3}(6n\pi \pm \pi) [/tex] but I don't know how to get that without looking at the plot. How do I get this generalized term from the data given?

Thanks for your time.

Gyro said:
But how do I find the values that count? Wolphram also says
[tex] \theta = \frac {1}{3}(6n\pi \pm \pi) [/tex] but I don't know how to get that without looking at the plot. How do I get this generalized term from the data given?

Thanks for your time.

I think I get it now, maybe.
Since theta = pi/3, you check multiples of that in the equation, not multiples of 2pi like I thought.
So I plug in npi/3 for n = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... and find all the values of n that make the equation 0 in the interval specified. Then I have my roots as 5pi/3, 7pi/3, 11pi/3, and 13pi/3. I can express each as
6pi/3 - pi/3, 6pi/3 + pi/3, 12pi/3 - pi/3, and 12pi/3 + pi/3. If I factor out the 1/3 and use a plus/minus, I get to the general term I was looking for, 1/3(6npi +/- pi) for n = 1, 2 for the interval specified.
Is this finally right?

Yes that looks good :smile:
You can also check the plot of [tex]y=\cos(x)-1/2[/tex] and see that it has the same roots as the original equation.

Thanks for your help.

It seems that this question is solved but, can't you just use the quadratic formula since you are using it on an interval? [tex]\frac{-5 +- \sqrt{25 +24}}{4}[/tex]

Yep that's what Gyro has done, check post #9. And it doesn't matter if it's on an interval or not, you'll be using the quadratic formula regardless.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression that contains a variable, typically represented by x, and includes a squared term (x²). It is used to solve problems involving quantities that change over time at a constant rate.

2. How is the quadratic equation used to find the roots of cos theta?

The quadratic equation is used to find the roots of cos theta by setting the equation equal to 0 and solving for the value of x. The two solutions for x, also known as the roots, represent the x-coordinates of the points where the graph of the cosine function intersects the x-axis.

3. What is the significance of finding the roots of cos theta?

Finding the roots of cos theta allows us to determine the values of theta where the cosine function has a value of 0. This is important in many applications, such as calculating the period and frequency of a periodic function, or solving trigonometric equations.

4. Can the quadratic equation be used for any cosine function?

Yes, the quadratic equation can be used for any cosine function, as long as it is in the form of a quadratic equation. This means that the highest power of the variable must be squared, and there must be a constant term and a coefficient of the squared term.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the roots of cos theta?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the roots of cos theta, such as using a graphing calculator or using trigonometric identities. However, the quadratic equation is the most straightforward and reliable method for finding the roots of any quadratic function, including the cosine function.