Solving the Cos+SinTan/SinSec=Csc Equation

• Thread starter fouracres
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving cos, sin, tan, and sec functions and their relationships in an equation. The conversation also addresses potential errors and clarifies the correct interpretation of the equation.
fouracres

Homework Statement

cos+sintan/sinsec=csc

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(cos+sin(sin/cos))/(sin/1/cos)
(cos+sin^2sincos)/(sin/cos)
(cos+sin^2sincos)X(cos/sin)

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you go from
(cos+sin(sin/cos))/(sin/1/cos) to
(cos+sin^2sincos)/(sin/cos) ?

The cosine should become the LCM in the numerator.

i think i multiplied sin by sin and cos i wouldn't doubt that i did it wrong can u correct me i really would love to fix this !

where were u saying cos shud become the LCM in the numerator?

fouracres said:
i think i multiplied sin by sin and cos i wouldn't doubt that i did it wrong can u correct me i really would love to fix this !

Have you ever heard of punctuation? The quote above appears to be three different sentences. Using periods at the ends of your sentences would make what you say easier to understand.

A similar problem exists with your first post (in addition to the omission of arguments of the functions shown):
cos+sintan/sinsec=csc

As you have written it, most people in this forum would interpret the above as:
[tex]cos(x) + \frac{sin(x)tan(x)}{sin(x)sec(x)} = csc(x)[/tex]

I suspect that what you really meant, though, was this:
[tex]\frac{cos(x) +sin(x)tan(x)}{sin(x)sec(x)} = csc(x)[/tex]

If you don't know how to use LaTeX, you can write the equation above like so:
(cos(x) +sin(x)tan(x))/(sin(x)sec(x))=csc(x)

FAQ: Solving the Cos+SinTan/SinSec=Csc Equation

1. What is the purpose of solving the Cos+SinTan/SinSec=Csc equation?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the value of the unknown variable that makes the equation true. This is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How do I solve the Cos+SinTan/SinSec=Csc equation?

To solve this equation, you can use the basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. First, rewrite the equation using the reciprocal identities for sine and cosine, then simplify the equation by combining like terms. Finally, solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the key steps in solving the Cos+SinTan/SinSec=Csc equation?

The key steps in solving this equation include rewriting the equation using reciprocal identities, simplifying the equation, and solving for the unknown variable. It is also important to remember to perform the same operations on both sides of the equation in order to maintain equality.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving the Cos+SinTan/SinSec=Csc equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this equation include forgetting to use the reciprocal identities, not simplifying the equation properly, and not performing the same operations on both sides of the equation. It is also important to check the solution to make sure it satisfies the original equation.

5. Can the Cos+SinTan/SinSec=Csc equation be solved using a calculator?

Yes, the equation can be solved using a calculator, but it is important to make sure the calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that the values entered are in the correct format. However, it is also beneficial to know how to solve the equation manually in case a calculator is not available.

Back