1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Integral using Cauchy Formula

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the integral:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{d\theta}{1-2aCos\theta + a^2}, 0 < a < 1.[/tex]

This integral is worked out in the book as an example, but I don't understand all the steps. My confusion is highlighted in red below.

(From Complex Variables, Stephen Fisher (2nd Edition), Chapter 2.3, Exercise 7)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{\gamma} \frac{f(s)}{s-z} ds= \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}f(z) & : z \in \gamma\\0 & : z \notin \gamma \end{array} [/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is defined as the interior of the simple closed curve described by the line integral. (Eq. 1)

[tex]Cos\theta=\frac{1}{2}\left(z+\frac{1}{z}\right).\;[/tex] (Eq. 2)

[tex]d\theta = \frac{dz}{iz}. \;[/tex] (Eq. 3)

3. The attempt at a solution

Substitute using (2)...

[tex]1-2aCos\theta + a^2=1+a^2-a\left(z + \frac{1}{z}\right).[/tex]

Now using (3)...

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{1-2aCos\theta + a^2} = \frac{dz}{i(-az^2+(1+a^2)z-a)} \![/tex] (Eq. 4)

Now:

[tex]-az^2+(1+a^2)z-a=-a\left(z-\frac{1}{a}\right)(z-a)[/tex]

The point [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex] is outside the circle [tex]|z| = 1[/tex], and the point a is inside the circle [tex]|z|=1[/tex].

How do we know that 1/a is outside and a is inside?

Hence,

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_{|z|=1} \frac{dz}{-az^2+(1+a^2)z-a}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{|z|=1}\frac{1}{-a(z-\frac{1}{a})}\frac{1}{z-a} dz = \frac{1}{-a\left(a-\frac{1}{a}\right)} = \frac{1}{1-a^2}[/tex]

But,

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_{|z|=1} \frac{dz}{-az^2+(1+a^2)z-a}=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{i e^{i\theta}d\theta}{e^{i\theta}(1-2aCos\theta + a^2)}[/tex]

Why do we need this equality? I thought we already substituted Eqs. (2) and (3) to get expression (4). In other words, why are we bothering to put exponentials in here when we already have a simple form for the integral?

[tex]=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{1-2aCos\theta +a^2}.[/tex]

Thus, the integral has the value

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{1-2aCos\theta +a^2} = \frac{1}{1-a^2}, \; 0 < a < 1.[/tex]

Thank you for your time. I know this is a lot of equations to look through, but it would really help this confused student who wants to understand the example.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1)
    Well, it is given that 0 < a < 1, you wrote that on the very first line. So |a| < 1. Then |1/a| = 1/|a| > 1. Geometrically, the reciprocal of any complex number is obtained by reflecting the number in the unit circle. If you want to show it explicitly, do something like |1/a| * |a| = |1/a * a| = |1| = 1.

2)
    You have something like
    [tex]\oint_{|z| = 1} f(z) \, dz[/tex]
    which is a meaningful expression in terms of concepts, but it's useless in terms of calculation. The contour integral of f(z) over a closed curve [itex]\gamma: t \mapsto \gamma(t) \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] defined on [a, b] is defined (?) as
    [tex]\oint_\gamma f(z) \, dz = \int_a^b f(\gamma(t)) \gamma'(t) \, dt[/tex].
    So if you want to evaluate your contour integral over the circle |z| = 1 you will need some curve parametrizing it, and
    [tex]\gamma: [0, 2\pi] \to \{ z \in \mathrm{C} : |z| = 1 \}, t \mapsto e^{\imi t}[/tex]
    is the most obvious one.

However, in this case you can also use calculus of residues, to immediately evaluate
    [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{|z|=1}\frac{1}{-a(z-\frac{1}{a})}\frac{1}{z-a} dz = \frac{1}{-a\left(a-\frac{1}{a}\right)} = \frac{1}{1-a^2}[/tex]
    without using an explicit parametrization.

Hope that helps.

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    Thank you. I totally missed the significance of [tex]0 < a < 1[/tex]. It makes a lot more sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook