1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Limit Question

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the limit as x approaches ∏/8, (cos(2x)-√(2))/(x-∏/8)

2. Relevant equations

cos(2x)+cos(2a)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to multiply the conjugate of the terms but ended up stuck there, don't know how to go on. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This isn't an equation, and I don't see how it's relevant to anything.
    As x approaches [itex]\pi[/itex]/8, what does the numerator approach? What does the denominator approach?

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    You end up with -(1/sqrt2)/0 limit. the equation is an identity that is supposed to help when solving the question.

I also tried expanding the relevant equation and ended up with, cos(2x)+cos(2a)=-2sin(x+a)sin(x-a)

5. Oct 13, 2011 #4

Mark44

cos(2x)+cos(2a) is NOT an equation, so it can't possibly be an identity.
    But that's not a number. I agree that the numerator approaches -1/sqrt(2), which is the same as -sqrt(2)/2. And I agree that the denominator approaches 0.

So this problem is similar to these limits:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

How would you characterize these two? (One of them has a direct bearing on your limit.)

6. Oct 13, 2011 #5
    I am not exactly sure about that.

7. Oct 13, 2011 #6

Mark44

What is it that you're not exactly sure about? If you think that cos(2x)+cos(2a) is an identity, I am absolutely certain that you are wrong.

Are you unsure that your limit is related to one of the ones I gave, you can start by answering my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook