Solve Limit as x→π/8: (cos(2x)-√(2))/(x-π/8)

• Thread starter batman2002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit as x approaches pi/8 for the equation (cos(2x)-sqrt(2))/(x-pi/8). The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using the conjugate of the terms and an additional equation, cos(2x)+cos(2a), which is not an identity. It is determined that the numerator approaches -sqrt(2)/2 and the denominator approaches 0, making the problem similar to the limits \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x} and \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x^2}. The conversation ends with a question about characterizing these two limits and their relationship to the original problem
batman2002

Homework Statement

Find the limit as x approaches ∏/8, (cos(2x)-√(2))/(x-∏/8)

Homework Equations

cos(2x)+cos(2a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to multiply the conjugate of the terms but ended up stuck there, don't know how to go on. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
batman2002 said:

Homework Statement

Find the limit as x approaches ∏/8, (cos(2x)-√(2))/(x-∏/8)

Homework Equations

cos(2x)+cos(2a)
This isn't an equation, and I don't see how it's relevant to anything.
batman2002 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to multiply the conjugate of the terms but ended up stuck there, don't know how to go on. Please help.

As x approaches [itex]\pi[/itex]/8, what does the numerator approach? What does the denominator approach?

Mark44 said:
This isn't an equation, and I don't see how it's relevant to anything.As x approaches [itex]\pi[/itex]/8, what does the numerator approach? What does the denominator approach?

You end up with -(1/sqrt2)/0 limit. the equation is an identity that is supposed to help when solving the question.

I also tried expanding the relevant equation and ended up with, cos(2x)+cos(2a)=-2sin(x+a)sin(x-a)

batman2002 said:
You end up with -(1/sqrt2)/0 limit. the equation is an identity that is supposed to help when solving the question.

cos(2x)+cos(2a) is NOT an equation, so it can't possibly be an identity.
batman2002 said:
You end up with -(1/sqrt2)/0 limit.

But that's not a number. I agree that the numerator approaches -1/sqrt(2), which is the same as -sqrt(2)/2. And I agree that the denominator approaches 0.

So this problem is similar to these limits:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

How would you characterize these two? (One of them has a direct bearing on your limit.)

I am not exactly sure about that.

Mark44 said:

But that's not a number. I agree that the numerator approaches -1/sqrt(2), which is the same as -sqrt(2)/2. And I agree that the denominator approaches 0.

How would you characterize these two? (One of them has a direct bearing on your limit.)

batman2002 said:
I am not exactly sure about that.

Mark44 said:

What is it that you're not exactly sure about? If you think that cos(2x)+cos(2a) is an identity, I am absolutely certain that you are wrong.

Are you unsure that your limit is related to one of the ones I gave, you can start by answering my question.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input variable approaches a specific value or goes towards infinity.

2. How do you solve a limit?

To solve a limit, you can either use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or a table of values to determine the limit value. You can also use rules such as the Squeeze Theorem, L'Hopital's Rule, or the Limit Laws to simplify the function and find the limit.

3. What is the difference between one-sided and two-sided limits?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function on one side of the input value, while a two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of the function on both sides of the input value.

4. How do you evaluate a limit at a specific value?

To evaluate a limit at a specific value, you can plug in the value into the function and simplify. If the function is undefined at that value, you can use algebraic manipulation or other rules to simplify the function and find a limit value.

5. What is the solution to the limit as x approaches π/8 in the given function?

The solution to the limit as x approaches π/8 in the given function is 1/2.