Finding Air and Ground Speed Using Trigonometry: A Pilot's Navigation Problem

In summary, the pilot needs to fly at a heading of 68.2 degrees and the wind is blowing from the south at 38 MPH. Using the law of sines/cosines and a right angled triangle, the air speed and ground speed can be determined.
clook

Homework Statement

A pilot wants to fly on a bearing of 68.2 degrees. By flying due east, he finds that 38 MPH, blowing from the south, puts him on the course. Find the air speed and ground speed.

Homework Equations

using law of sines/cosines, ambiguous case.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried drawing a diagram according to the book, the one with grspeed/airspeed/wind direction/heading.

however, it seems like it's moving south and i would have to draw a different diagram to solve this.

i have NO idea where to start! this has stumped me. I'm not sure if i even have enough information to complete this problem. i just need a general idea of what kind of diagram i need to draw..

Physics news on Phys.org
clook said:
however, it seems like it's moving south and i would have to draw a different diagram to solve this.

The plane isn't moving south. The question states that, by flying due east, the wind (blowing from the south) ensures that the plane travels on the correct path of 68.2 degrees. How have you set up the diagram?

For the second part of the question, I don't know what the groundspeed means.

http://savemyfile.net//files/6/book.jpg

something similar to this

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, ok I get what you mean now! Ok, well try drawing a diagram similar to that. The heading is the direction in which the pilot flies, ie due east here. The true course is the direction the pilot wants to fly, ie 68.2 degrees. The wind is blowing from the south. Your triangle will be different to the one in the book, in that it will be a right angled triangle.

argh.. it would bea right triangle?

man, is there a way you could provide me some type of diagram for this?

edit: nvm, got it.

Last edited:

1. What is trigonometry and how is it used in navigation?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between sides and angles of triangles. In navigation, trigonometry is used to calculate the position, direction, and distance of a ship or airplane by using angles and distances.

2. How is the Law of Sines used in navigation problems?

The Law of Sines states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of the opposite angle is constant. In navigation, this law is used to find the distance between two points when the positions and angles are known.

3. What is the difference between true bearing and magnetic bearing?

True bearing is the direction of a point measured in degrees from true north. Magnetic bearing, on the other hand, is the direction of a point measured in degrees from magnetic north. In navigation, magnetic bearings are used because magnetic north is easier to locate than true north.

4. How are vectors used in navigation problems?

Vectors are used in navigation to represent the direction and magnitude of a movement. They can be used to calculate the speed and direction of a ship or airplane, as well as the distance between two points.

5. What is the difference between dead reckoning and celestial navigation?

Dead reckoning is a navigation technique that uses the direction and speed of a ship or airplane to estimate its current position. Celestial navigation, on the other hand, uses the position of celestial bodies such as the sun, moon, and stars to determine a ship or airplane's location. Dead reckoning is often used in conjunction with celestial navigation for accurate navigation.