Solving Trigonometric Proofs: Struggling with Two Challenging Examples

In summary: You can use the Pythagorean Identities to evaluate the expressions to see if they are equal. Recall that \cos^{2} \theta + \sin^{2} \theta = 1 and that you can modify this equation by dividing by sin or cos to give two additional equations in terms of tan, cot, sec, and csc.Do you know the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1? Try dividing, rearranging terms, etc.i tried everything but it does not work at all!You need to use the identity we've given you. Divide the identity by sin x and see what you come up with. You should have something in terms of
mrtkawa
i need help for these 2 trig proofs, i did everything i could but it's impossible.

1st question; (cot^2X)-1=csc^2X

and

2nd question; (cot^2X)-(cos^2X)=cos^2Xcot^2X

caution, both might be insoluable

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the Pythagorean Identities to evaluate the expressions to see if they are equal. Recall that [tex]\cos^{2} \theta + \sin^{2} \theta = 1[/tex] and that you can modify this equation by dividing by sin or cos to give two additional equations in terms of tan, cot, sec, and csc.

Do you know the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1? Try dividing, rearranging terms, etc.

i tried everything but it does not work at all!

You need to use the identity we've given you. Divide the identity by sin x and see what you come up with. You should have something in terms of cotangent and cosecent.

oh i forgot tell you that my ass hole teacher want to us to do the proof by solving either side
so i can not divide, square, multiply or anything to the both side or the one side

I know and what I'm trying to get you to do is complete this one step so you can compare the result to your first question. What do you get when you divide the identity above by sin x?

I am going to give you an example, which is nearly the same as this one:
Example:
Prove that:
sec2x = tan2x + 1
I am going from the LHS to the RHS:
[tex]\sec ^ 2 x = \frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 x} = \frac{\sin ^ 2 x + \cos ^ 2 x}{\cos ^ 2 x} = \tan ^ 2 x + 1[/tex] (Q.E.D)
-------------------
By the way, your first problem is not correct, it should read:
cot2x + 1 = csc2x
not
cot2x - 1 = csc2x
-------------------
For the second problem, what's cot2x in terms of sin(x), and cos(x)? You should also note that:
sin2x + cos2x = 1 (the Pythagorean Identity)
Can you go from here? :)

Related to Solving Trigonometric Proofs: Struggling with Two Challenging Examples

1. What are trigonometric proofs?

Trigonometric proofs are mathematical arguments that use the properties of trigonometric functions to demonstrate the truth of a given statement or equation.

2. Why do students struggle with trigonometric proofs?

Students often struggle with trigonometric proofs because they require a deep understanding of the properties and relationships between trigonometric functions, as well as the ability to apply algebraic manipulation and deductive reasoning.

3. What are some tips for approaching trigonometric proofs?

Some tips for approaching trigonometric proofs include: understanding the basic trigonometric identities, practicing with simpler proofs before tackling more complex ones, and breaking the proof down into smaller steps.

4. How can I check if my trigonometric proof is correct?

You can check if your trigonometric proof is correct by substituting the given values into the final equation and verifying that it holds true. You can also ask a teacher or classmate to review your proof and provide feedback.

5. What resources are available for help with struggling with trigonometric proofs?

There are various resources available for help with struggling with trigonometric proofs, such as online tutorials, textbooks, study groups, and seeking assistance from a math teacher or tutor.