Simplifying Trig Equation for B w/ Alpha & Beta

• Thread starter neutrino2063
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to simplify the equation \frac{1}{B^2}=\frac{1+\cos{2\alpha}}{2k_1}+\frac{\sin{2\alpha}}{2k_2}+\frac{\alpha}{k_2} to the form B=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sqrt{\frac{\beta}{1+\beta}}, where \alpha=\frac{L}{2}k_2 and \beta=\frac{L}{2}k_1. The speaker mentions trying to use trigonometric identities and Mathematica to solve the problem, but is unsure of how to eliminate the trigonometric functions. It is then pointed out
neutrino2063
I need to somehow simplify:

[tex]\frac{1}{B^2}=\frac{1+\cos{2\alpha}}{2k_1}+\frac{\sin{2\alpha}}{2k_2}+\frac{\alpha}{k_2}[/tex]

to:

[tex] B=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sqrt{\frac{\beta}{1+\beta}} [/tex]

Where:

[tex]\alpha=\frac{L}{2}k_2 [/tex] and [tex]\beta=\frac{L}{2}k_1 [/tex]

And [tex]\beta[/tex] is also defined transcendentally:

[tex]\beta=\alpha\tan{\alpha}[/tex]

Any ideas would be appreciated, I see no way of getting rid of the trig functions. I've tried looking for identities and even given it to mathematica; it seems to me I'm missing some sort of special trick.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it a typo that alpha and beta are equal? It seems an unnecessary complication to add another variable if it's not needed. Otherwise I would just start substituting things into the right side of your first equation and see where that takes me.

Ah, it is... thanks, it's fixed now alpha should be (L/2)*k2

Now replaces cos(2 alpha) and sin(2 alpha) using the double-angle identities, and use your other two relationships to get rid of alpha to see if you can make the right side look like the left.

FAQ: Simplifying Trig Equation for B w/ Alpha & Beta

1. What is the purpose of simplifying trig equations with Alpha and Beta?

Simplifying trig equations with Alpha and Beta allows us to rewrite complex trigonometric expressions in a simpler and more concise form. This makes it easier to solve and manipulate the equations, making it a valuable tool in various fields of math and science.

2. How do I know when to use Alpha and Beta in trigonometric equations?

Alpha and Beta are often used as placeholders for angles in trigonometric equations. They are commonly used when solving equations involving multiple angles or when working with trigonometric identities. In most cases, the use of Alpha and Beta is a matter of personal preference and does not affect the outcome of the equation.

3. What are the common techniques for simplifying trig equations with Alpha and Beta?

There are several techniques that can be used to simplify trig equations with Alpha and Beta. These include using trigonometric identities, converting between different forms of trigonometric functions, and applying algebraic manipulation. It is important to have a strong understanding of trigonometric principles and properties to effectively simplify these equations.

4. Can I use a calculator to simplify trig equations with Alpha and Beta?

While a calculator can be a useful tool in solving trig equations, it is not recommended to solely rely on it when simplifying equations with Alpha and Beta. Calculators may not always give the most simplified form and may not account for all possible solutions. It is important to also use algebraic techniques and verify the solutions manually.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying trig equations with Alpha and Beta?

One helpful tip is to always start by identifying any common trigonometric identities that can be applied to the equation. Another tip is to use substitution, where you replace Alpha and Beta with specific angles, such as 30 or 45 degrees, to simplify the equation. It is also important to double-check your work and verify that the simplified equation is equivalent to the original one.

Back