Trig substitition-lost in identities

In summary, the problem involves integrating \frac{dx}{x^{2}\sqrt{x^{2}+1}} using trig substitution, specifically by letting x=tan\theta. After simplifying the expression, a second substitution of u=sin\theta and du=cos\theta is needed to complete the integration.
phantomcow2
Trig substitition--lost in identities

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{x^{2}\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

It's pretty obvious that this is a trig substitution problem requiring use of tangent.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]x=tan\theta[/tex]
[tex]dx=sec^{2}\theta[/tex]
[tex]x^{2}=tan^{2}\theta[/tex]

Substitute it in.

[tex]\frac{sec^{2}\theta}{tan^{2}\theta\sqrt{tan^{2}\theta + 1}}[/tex]

But the [tex]\sqrt{tan^{2}\theta + 1}[/tex] simplifies to [tex]sec\theta[/tex]

Now before I integrate, I need to simplify. The obvious simplification is the [tex]sec^{2}\theta[/tex] and [tex]sec\theta[/tex] in the denominator, leaving me with
[tex]\frac{sec\theta}{tan^{2}\theta}[/tex]

This is starting to look fishy to me. I think I've begun to develop an instinct telling me when I am doing something incorrectly. I simplify this to [tex]\frac{cos\theta}{sin^{2}\theta}[/tex]

Now I need to ingrate this, but it doesn't look promising. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Nothing wrong so far. Time for another substitution.

Oh, haha, you're right! I need to start thinking to substitute more often :p

u= sin and du = cos

Yep, straight forward from here. Thanks so much.

1. What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving expressions with trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric identity for a variable in the integral.

2. When should I use trig substitution?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a radical expression, such as √(a^2-x^2) or √(x^2-a^2). It can also be used when the integrand contains a combination of trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common trig identities used in trig substitution?

Some common trig identities used in trig substitution include sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, sec^2x = 1 + tan^2x, and csc^2x = 1 + cot^2x. It is important to be familiar with these identities in order to successfully use trig substitution.

4. How do I choose the appropriate trig identity for substitution?

The choice of trig identity for substitution depends on the form of the integrand. For example, if the integrand contains √(a^2-x^2), it is appropriate to use the identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. If the integrand contains √(x^2-a^2), it is appropriate to use the identity sec^2x = 1 + tan^2x. It may take some practice to become comfortable with choosing the appropriate trig identity.

5. What are some tips for successfully using trig substitution?

Some tips for successfully using trig substitution include being familiar with common trig identities, carefully choosing the appropriate identity for substitution, and checking your work by differentiating the result of the substitution. It is also important to practice and become comfortable with this technique.