Trig Substitution for Integrating sin^3(x)/cos(x) - Homework Help

In summary, trig substitution is a method used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. By substituting the variable with a trigonometric expression, such as sin(x) or cos(x), the integral can be rewritten in a simpler form. This technique is particularly useful for integrating expressions like sin^3(x)/cos(x), where the trigonometric identities can be applied to simplify the integral. By breaking down the expression into simpler terms and applying trigonometric identities, the integral can be solved more easily.
nightshade123

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex] ((sin(x))^3/(cos(x)) )*dx

The Attempt at a Solution

alright i have been trying to use

u= cosx
-du = sinx

but it doesn't make sense bause there is still a sinx^2 to account for

so i know i need to make a trig substitution but i can't figure out the appropriate
substitution for sinx^2 even though i think the 1/2 ( 1- cos2x) is hte only one question... when u use a u substituion for u = cosx -du = sindx would u write

1/2 [tex]\int[/tex] ((sinx*( 1 - cos2x)) / cosx)*dx- 1/2 [tex]\int[/tex]( (1 - 2u) / u ) *du
if u = cosx and u have to change a cos2x... what would you write 2u... that wouldn't make sensebecause it would come out 2*cosx which does not equatl cos2x

idk where I am lost... i can't logically follow through this problem for some reason, any advice would be amazing, thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your work is right, just write (1 - 2u)/u = 1/u - 2

according the calculator ti 89 the answer is -ln abs(cosx) - sinx^2 / 2accordign to what i ended up w/ i got

-1/2 ( ln abs(cosx) - 2*cosx )

which doesn't make sense my work is wrong it has to be lol

if u have a few mins to try to work through it on paper let me kno what u see

Oops, I misread. Just a second.

Edit: Your work is wrong. cos(2x) =/= 2u if u = cos(x).

I'd suggest instead of using [itex]sin^{2}(x) = \frac{1 - cos(2x)}{2}[/itex] that you use a more basic identity.

Last edited:
i know how to evaluate those easy integrals but the challenge is turning a complex integral into a easy integral

1/u du is

ln(u)

2 =2u

u = cosx

yea i have been trying to figure out a simpler substitution and it just isn't working

What's the very first trig identity you ever learned?

what about using [tex]sin(x)^{2}=1-cos(x)^{2}[/tex] ?

you get 2 simple integrals i guess...

sinx^2 + cosx^2 = 1

omg i made that way to hard >.< lol thanks
ill reevaluate it and see what happens

[tex]\int\frac{\sin^3 x}{\cos x}dx=\int\frac{\sin x\frac{1-\cos(2x)}{2}}{\cos x}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sin x(1-\cos(2x))}{\cos x}\frac{d(\cos x)}{-\sin x}=-\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1-\cos(2x)}{\cos x}d(\cos x)=[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1-(2\cos^2 x-1)}{\cos x}d(\cos x)=-\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{2}{\cos x}-2\cos x d(\cos x)=-\ln\cos x+\frac{\cos^2 x}{2}+C[/tex]

where [tex]d(\cos x)=-\sin x dx[/tex]
[tex]dx=\frac{d(\cos x)}{-\sin x}[/tex]
[tex]\cos(2x)=2\cos^2 x-1[/tex]

Answer should be [tex]-\ln\cos x+\frac{1}{4}\cos (2x)+C[/tex] according to http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp

[tex]\int\frac{\sin^3 x}{\cos x}dx=\int\frac{\sin x(1-\cos^2 x)}{\cos x}dx=\int\frac{\sin x(1-\cos^2 x)}{\cos x}\frac{d(\cos x)}{-\sin x}=-\int\frac{1-\cos^2 x}{\cos x}d(\cos x)=[/tex]
[tex]=-\int\frac{1}{\cos x}-\cos x d(\cos x)=-(\ln\cos x-\frac{\cos^2 x}{2})+C[/tex]
where [tex]d(\cos x)=-\sin x dx[/tex]
[tex]dx=\frac{d(\cos x)}{-\sin x}[/tex]

Does this http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp integrator giving wrong answer? Becouse [tex]\frac{\cos^2 x}{2}[/tex] not equal to [tex]\frac{1}{4}\cos (2x)[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{\cos^2(x)}{2}=\frac{\cos(2x)}{4}+C_1[/tex]

Interesting
[tex]\frac{\cos^2 0.5}{2}\approx 0.385075576[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\cos 1}{4}\approx 0.135075576[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\cos^2 0.5}{2}-\frac{\cos 1}{4}=0.25[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\cos^2 0.3}{2}-\frac{\cos 0.6}{4}=0.25[/tex]
But why?

fermio said:
[tex]\frac{\cos^2 0.5}{2}-\frac{\cos 1}{4}=0.25[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\cos^2 0.3}{2}-\frac{\cos 0.6}{4}=0.25[/tex]
But why?

cos^2(x) = 1/2(1 + cos(2x))

[tex]\int[/tex] 1 / (sinx - 1) dx

wth i can't figure this out, thinkin about it to hard again

i broke a more complex integral down into this final part, diffrent problemi know it equals

cosx / (sinx - 1)

Try conjugation.

reduces back into itself

What about integrating f(x)=1/sin(x)?

1/sinx does not equal 1 / (sinx -1 )

in that case u suggest f(x) = ln ( sinx / cosx + 1 )

My mistake.
But:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sin x -1}=\frac{\sin x +1}{\sin^2 x -1}=\frac{\sin x +1}{-\cos^2 x}=-\frac{\sin x}{\cos^2 x}-\frac{1}{\cos^2 x}[/tex]

Or am I mistaken again?

[tex]\frac{1}{\sin x -1}=\frac{\sin x +1}{\sin^2 x -1}[/tex]thats false.. what are you trying to say?

[tex]\frac{1}{\sin x -1}=\frac{\sin x +1}{\left(\sin x -1\right)\left(\sin x +1\right)}=\frac{\sin x +1}{\sin^2 x -1}[/tex]
Isn't it?

yea that's right i read it wrong, integrate that throughout do u end up w/

cosx / (sinx -1)

i didnt, i got -(sinx + 1) / cosx

dont worry about it

Those two functions are in fact equal.

What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the integral to make it easier to solve.

How do you use trig substitution to integrate sin^3(x)/cos(x)?

To solve this integral, we can use the trig identity sin^2(x) = 1 - cos^2(x) to rewrite the integral as (1-cos^2(x))sin(x)/cos(x). Then, we can substitute u = cos(x) and du = -sin(x)dx to turn the integral into ∫(1-u^2)/u du, which can be easily solved using basic integration techniques.

What is the purpose of using trig substitution?

The purpose of using trig substitution is to simplify and solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It allows us to rewrite the integral in terms of a different variable that is easier to integrate.

What are the 3 most common trig substitutions?

The three most common trig substitutions are:

• Substituting u = sin(x) or u = cos(x) for integrals involving √(a^2-x^2) or √(a^2+x^2)
  • Substituting u = tan(x) or u = sec(x) for integrals involving √(x^2-a^2) or √(x^2+a^2)
  • Substituting u = sec(x) or u = tan(x/2) for integrals involving √(a^2-x^2) or √(a^2+x^2)

What are some tips for using trig substitution effectively?

Some tips for using trig substitution effectively include:

• Identify which trig identity or substitution will be most useful for the integral at hand.
  • Be careful with the limits of integration when substituting variables.
  • Simplify the expression as much as possible before integrating.
  • Check your answer using differentiation to ensure it is correct.